Found

Pic above from Pinterest

I lay there in the grass for what seemed like days to me. Every time I woke I found Spirit, still laying by my side. He never seemed to leave. I didn't have an ounce of strength left. The blood on my shoulder had coagulated but the pain was still there whenever I moved an inch, so I simply lay there and dozed in and out of consciousness.

A day later I regained consciousness to find that Spirit had left. I slowly raised my head and looked around. Through the trees I could see that the sun was high in the sky, with a few clouds here and there. The sky was a clear blue.
I lay my head down on the grass and lay there, thinking.

My throat was parched and I was ravenous. My arm was in pain and I could barley sit up, let alone stand up. I was sure sooner or later the mountain was going to come back, and if he did this time I couldn't defend myself. I'll die without seeing Spirit again, I thought.

Another part of me screamed at me, telling me to get up, to look for help. I couldn't sit around here helplessly. I gritted my teeth and slowly hauled myself to my feet. I swayed and my vision went black for a few seconds. When my head cleared I took a few steps forward.

Breathing deeply I looked around. A few feet ahead the forest led downhill and the tress were further apart. If I could just walk a few more feet I could be able to see down, maybe I could get help. But I couldn't. The pain combined with the hunger forced me to stop walking.

I immediately lay down in the grass and dirt again to calm the spinning in my head.

This time i woke to the sound of voices. I blinked and looked around. The sun was starting to set and the air was cool. Deciding I'd imagined the voices I closed my eyes again when I heard them again. A male and a female.
The female was saying, "I'm sure that Wild mustang came this way Joe." She had an accent.
The man, JoeZ said, "Lara it's not likely. He was a beauty but he's long gone. Looks like you won't be getting your picture."

The voices were coming closer and I was sure that they were talking about Spirit. I lay still on the ground, hoping they would find me.
They were so close now I heard their footsteps crunching over fallen leaves and twigs.

Suddenly the woman, Lara gasped and I knew she'd seen me. "Joe look over here. It looks like a young girl!" I heard them run towards me.
Joe gently turned me over so that I was laying on my back. Lara grabbed my wrist and checked for a pulse. "She's alive!"

I opened my eyes. "You okay sweetie? Can you stand?" Joe asked. "No," I whispered. My voice was hoarse. "What is a young girl like yourself doing out here?" Joe asked. I couldn't answer. Lara saw my arm and said, "something did this to her and she's lost lots of blood."

Without a word Joe bent down and scooped me up on his arms. I looked back and I thought I saw Spirit standing between two trees. My eyes closed and I lost consciousness again.

Robert POV

Kate's been missing for 5 days, almost a week and I was beginning to grow desperate. We'd gone down to the sheriff's office in town, Alison and Tom had printed pictures and handed them to people, but still no luck.

For all I knew she could be dead, but I scolded myself. Kate was strong. She couldn't be dead. Tom, Mr Richards, Ned and I stood looking down a rocky cliff, at the town below. Ned stood beside two Bloodhounds. They'd picked up the scent so far, but it was lost again. Mr Richards had talked to a few of his grooms and they'd said they'd seen Kate and Spirit headed this way.

We'd looked and looked and still not a sign of them. Where are you Kate? My baby girl was out here in the wild with only a wild mustang for company. I sighed in frustration and turned and headed back into the trees. Mr Richards followed me. 

"Robert I think it would be best if we stop for today. After all in a few hours it's going to be dark." I took a deep breath and turned to him.
"Listen my daughter has been out in these god damn woods for 5 days. She's missing and your asking me to stop looking for her?"

Mr. Richards opened his mouth to respond but before he could Ned appeared. He had his phone in his hand. Looking at me Ned said, "The police called. They found Kate. A couple found her deep in the mountain two hours ago. She's in the hospital."

I wasn't listening, I was already running back to my truck.

If you guys enjoyed this chapter, please vote and comment.