Plan in motion

The next few days I stayed shut up in my room. Taking care of myself seemed pointless but I ate my meals in my room and completely ignored my father and Tom. I should have ignored Alison too, but somehow I knew she had nothing to do with this.

The horse that id loved was gone. He must be so scared. He was never really used to people. To think of him in Brianna's stables made my blood boil. Brianna wasn't cruel but she was going to need to break Spirit in order to tame him and that's what frightened me the most.

I had tamed Spirit with love and kindness, and he'd responded. He wasn't the wild mustang when he was around me.
I buried my face in my pillow. I had to get him back, but once I did what would I do with him?
Dad wouldn't let me keep him. He'd send Spirit back. I had to set him free.

I told Alison that I wanted to resign from the equestrian club. She told Robert who had been annoyed but kept quiet. He had no right to tell me what to do especially after what he'd done.

Couldn't he see that I loved Spirit? He was my horse. I was the one that had found him. Apparently all Robert cared about was the money. Instead of selling Spirit we could have found a solution together. I didn't even wanna know how much Brianna's father had paid for Spirit.

Staying in the house was driving me crazy. I needed some fresh air. A walk in the woods would do. I stood up and walked down the stairs and pulled on my boots. Once outside I ignored my dad and Tom who were letting our horses out in the pasture, and marched straight towards the trail.

"Kate where you going?" asked Robert. Ignoring him I continued on walking. Once out of sight of the house I slumped against a tree. I missed Spirit, a lot. Tears blurred my vision again. I hurriedly wiped them away. I'd cried enough over the past few days.

In no mood to walk I sat down under the shade of the tree and leaned my back against the bark. Today was a cloudless day with the sun shining bright in the sky. The rains had stopped two days after Spirit had been sold.

I closed my eyes. I wished my mom was here. If she had been here, she wouldn't have allowed Robert to take Spirit away from me.

With my thoughts still on Spirit I dozed off for a bit. I woke with a start when I felt someone's hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Jacob. He looked worried. "You okay?" He asked as he sat down beside me.

I nodded. "How did you know I was here?" "Your dad told me. He said to check on. Apparently you've been out here for about 2 hours?"

Two hours? I thought I had dozed off for a few minutes. We were silent for a few minutes, then Jacob said, "I'm sorry about your horse."

I didn't ask how he knew. Thanks," i mumbled. Jacob continued, "I saw him. Your horse."

This time I turned towards him. "You saw Spirit? Where? Tell me?" Jacob looked away. "He's fine. But he doesn't seem to be settling in. From what Brianna said he's untamable. Even Ned can't tame him."

I clenched my fingers. Ned the jerk who had deliberately blocked my way in the alley. Ned who'd taken Spirit.

"We broke up," said Jacob. My eyes widened. "Why? What happened?" I couldn't deny that I felt satisfied. Briana didn't deserve Jacob. He was just too good for her.

Jacob shrugged. "I didn't like how she treated you, and now she's taken your horse as well. I guess I've known for awhile now that I didn't love her."
"Oh I'm sorry.".
"Don't worry about it."

We lapsed into silence again. This time I was the one who broke the silence. "I need to get Spirit out from Brianna's house."

Jacob turned to me and grinned. "I'll help you."
"What? No!" I couldn't let him do this. If we're caught we could get in so much trouble. I didn't wanna bring Jacob into this mess as well.

"Look Kate, he's your horse I wanna help you get him back. From what I've heard you two are pretty close."
"Who told you this?" I asked. Jacob smiled. "Tom is his name right?" I nodded.
"Tom came to the equestrian club the other day to tell Ms. Moore that you resigned. She wasn't pleased. She said you were one of the best riders we had."
I managed a smiled.
"Anyway Tom told that there keeping Spirit in a large separate stall in the stables."
Why would Tom tell Jacob where Spirit was kept? Then it hit me! Tom was trying to help me get Spirit back. Why else would he tell Jacob the where Spirit was kept?

"We have to plan this very carefully," I said. "If were caught we could get into a lot of trouble. We're basically stealing."
Jacob grinned. "Great. When do we start?"

Jacob and Kate have a plan. What do you think it is? 🤔 Do you think they'll rescue Spirit? There's more Spirt in the chapters to come.