Before the competiton

I rode Spirit back down to the ranch. I dismounted and opened the pasture gate for him. Spirit cantered inside and immediately started grazing.
"I'll be back," I said before running back into the house.

I wanted to send Jacob a text telling him that Spirit was back. I was so excited to begin his training but I stopped short when I saw Robert, Alison and Tom standing in the living room looking worried.

Robert sighed in relief when he saw me. "Kate why didn't you pick up your phone? Where have you been?"
There was no point in lying, they'd find out anyway. "I found Spirit," I said quietly. Alison flashed me a smile but quickly hid it. Robert looked confused. "You found Spirit? What do you mean?"

I sighed and gestured for them to follow me. I led them to the pasture. Robert's eyes widened in anger. "How the hell did this mustang get here?" Spirit looked up from his grazing. I quickly explained. My dad stood still, his eyes fixed on Spirit who stood watching us, his long tail swishing back and forth.

"So can I keep him?" I asked. Alison cut in. "Robert you can't deny it. This horse loves Kate as much as she loves him. She should keep him. It'll give her something to do."
Robert looked at Tom who smiled. "I agree Kate should keep Spirit." Robert looked back and forth between them. This was a huge decision for him. I stayed quiet, letting him sort it out. More than anything I wanted to him to say yes.

After a few minuets Robert turned to me. "Alright you can keep him but he's your responsibility. You will feed him, you'll wash him. He gets sick your responsible for him."

"Yes I will thank you dad!" I cried. I wrapped my arms around him. Robert hugged me back.
Afterwards I ran upstairs to text Jacob.

Fifteen minutes later he arrived. I couldn't contain my excitement. I ran towards him and I threw my arms around his neck. Jacob looked surprised but he hugged me back tightly.

A few seconds later I realized what I'd done. Immediately my cheeks flamed. I stepped back. "Sorry about that. But Spirit's back so we can train him if you still wanna help." How embarrassing I was babbling.

Jacob cleared his throat. "No that's okay. So let's get to work?" Cheeks still red, I led him to the pasture.
I opened the gate Spirit cantered up to us. Jacob hesitantly reached out his hand. Spirit eyed his hand for a second before letting Jacob stroke his muzzle.

Jacob grinned. "That's new." I laughed. "Maybe he remembers that you helped him escape?"

The next few days we set to work training Spirit. Getting that saddle on his was hard again but we managed. The jumps were the hard part. Spirit was nervous every time we approached them. We would kick his back legs, rear and canter away. It usually took more than five minutes to calm him down and try again.
Tom suggested I walk Spirit through it first.  With me riding Spirit, Jacob attached a rope to his halter and would lead him over the poles on the ground. Eventually Spirit started slowly trotting and cantering over the poles on the ground, with me on his back. When Spirit gained confidence we raised the poles.

Two days before the competition Spirit finally over came his fear and jumped over the hurdles. After completing the jumps I dismounted and gave him some fresh carrots and apples.

While Spirit munched on them Jacob dismounted from his horse and walked forward. I'd insisted Jacob bring his horse here so we could both train together.
"Well looks like Spirit got the hang of it. Just make sure to go over the jumps with him one last time. He's got powerful, long legs that are good for jumping. You guys should be fine."

I nodded. "Jacob thank you for coming here and helping me train Spirit. It means a lot."
Jacob grinned. "No problem I've grown used to you and your horse. Before I could respond I saw a pair of headlights outside our gate. Jacob's father was here with his trailer.

"Well I gotta go. I'll see you after tomorrow at the competition."
"Ya see you." Before I could react Jacob leaned in and kissed me on the cheek. Then he titled his hat, grinned and led his horse away.

I stood rooted to the spot till Spirit nudged my shoulder. I led Spirit back inside his stall where I removed the saddle and his bridle. Then I brushed his coat and fed him some oats and water.

While Spirit ate i though of Jacob'a kiss. It was kiss on the cheek nothing more but I was still so happy. I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I rubbed Spirit's muzzle. "I know your ready," I said as I leaned in and kissed his forehead. Spirit nickered and pawed the hay. I smiled. We were both ready. I had one more day left before the jumping competition of the year started.

This book is coming to an end. About 1-2 chapters are left. How do you think the "kiss" will affect Kate and Jacob's relationship? And do you think Spirit's ready for the competitions?