Without you

Pic from the movie Flicka 2006^

I was let out of the hospital 3 days later. The doctor advised me not put pressure on my arm as it was still healing.

Robert drove us home. He was silent the entire ride. I didn't blame him. I'd stolen someone else's horse and disappeared into the woods for almost a week, but I had no regrets. I love Spirit more than anything in my life and I couldn't let Brianna have him.

I smiled slightly as I imagined him running free with his herd. I was almost sure that it had been Spirit who led that couple to me. If it hadn't been for him I would've been dead by now.

Finally we reached our ranch and Alison helped me up to my room. She adjusted my pillows and I lay back. We were silent for a moment before I asked, "am I kicked out of the equestrian club?"

Alison who had been looking out of the window looked back at me. "Well Brianna insisted that you should be kicked out but your teacher Ms. Moore didn't allow it. She said your one of the best riders they'd had."

I was stunned but also grateful. I'd been planning on training Spirit to jump, so I could enter him in the competition now that he was gone, I had no other option but to ride Bella.

"You don't have long for the competitions to start."
"Thank you," I told Alison. "I'll bring you a something to eat." She left closing the door.

I laid back against pillows. What was I supposed to do? A shower would be a good start. I slowly stood up and made my way to the bathroom.

After a long and warm shower I stepped out and changed into my pjs.
The next day I woke early and decided to go and talk to Tom about training Bella. As I made my way to the stables, the empty field caught my eye.

I remembered Spirit galloping around and how he would run to me when he saw me. How we would play our game of tag.
I scolded myself for feeling unhappy. Spirit was free and I should be glad but instead here I was missing him. I was going to have to get used to living without him.
I sighed and continued walking towards the stables where Tom was.

I found him brushing one of the horses coat. "Hey Kate what are you doing out of bed?"
I slowly leaned against the stall door. "Can you help me train Bella for the competition?

Tom looked surprised. "Your still going to compete with that arm?"
I shrugged. "Well ya. It's healing fine. I just have to hold the reins I won't put pressure on this arm."

Tom set the brush down and gave the horse a pat. "Well I guess I don't know if I can help you. I've got to help your father mend the back fence."

My face fell. "Oh that's okay well thanks anyway." I turned to go when Tom called me back. "Why don't you call your friend? What was his name? That Jacob kid. You guys can get ready for the competition together. You know he called a couple of times, asked if you were okay."

I'd completely forgotten about Jacob. And come to think of it that wasn't a bad idea.
"Thanks Tom."
Tom nodded. "I'll set the field up for you."

I grabbed my phone and called Jacob.
Twenty minutes later he arrived. He immediately ran towards me and wrapped me in his arms.
I blushed. despite everything I still had a crush on him.

"Ya sorry about that. I was just so worried. Tom told me everything. How's your arm?"

I looked away trying to hide my blush. "My arms fine."

I quickly told him why I needed his help and Jacob agreed. We walked back to the stables. I opened Bella's stall while Jacob grabbed a bridle and saddle. We made our to the field and I felt that hole in my heart where Spirit was widen. All of the memories, the fun we had.

I quickly pushed the thought out of mind as Jacob offered to ride Bella first. I nodded and sat down in the grass. Tom
had places the jumping obstacles around the field. Jacob mounted Bella and slowly walked her through the jumps. Bella didn't seem to mind she was just curious.

After walking her through the jumps twice Jacob led her towards the first jump at a canter and Bella jumped clean over it.

"She learns fast!" called Jacob as Bella completed all the jumps. I stood up as Jacob dismounted. "You don't have to ride her if your not feeling well."

I smiled. "I'm okay just distracted. Can you give me a boost?"
Jacob grinned. "Sure I can."

For the next hour I practiced jumping with Bella. She was a fast learner. I was confident that we were going to win. However every time she jumped over an obstacle, the landing jostled my arm causing me a bit of pain. That was something I needed to work on.

By the end of the day I was exhausted. Jacob promised to come back tomorrow. Although he didn't need to, I was glad for his help and company. He helped take my mind off of Spirit.

I lay in bed that night facing the window. My arm ached and for my body was sore after today's riding.

I finally closed my eyes. "Wherever you are Spirit, goodnight." I whispered. I was slowly moving on with my life, without my horse,  without Spirit.

Kate's finally back home and Spirit is nowhere to be seen. After helping Kate out, do you think Alison and Kate are closer?