ten : lafayette

"Hello, Marquis."

Lafayette jumped. "Lauren, right? 'Zat's your name? Where... was... is...? you?"

"Brush up your English. You were born in America, no?"

"Oui... But my family never s-spoke it... Lauren- where was you?" Lafayette reached for the light switch, when a growl from Laurens cut him off.

"Don't turn on the light."

"Why?"

"I'm not your friend."

"Désolé?"

"I'm his father. Now, I have a lot to tell you. Turn the light on now."

Lafayette did as told. "One second, sir- I must use 'ze restroom."

The man nodded.

Lafayette locked the door, before grabbing his phone and sending a text:

To: Hammy? Hammyton?

AMI THE MAN YOU WARNED BE ABOUT IS HERE AMI AMI AMI CALL THE COPS HELP ILL TRY TO HELP. STAY SAFE.

He pressed each button with shaking fingers, unable to spell English words properly. Finally, satisfied with his work, he clicked send. He flushed the toilet and ran the water and pocketed his phone, making sure it was off.

"Are you ready now?"

"S-sure..."

And just like that, the fire grew.

}{

"Alexander, listen-"

"Don't listen to him."

"Is 'zat why-"

"No. Whatever it is, no. You need to listen to me, Laf." Alexander looked up from Lafayette, and he began to notice the other man for the first time.

His eyes were red. He had been crying. His eyes were also baggy, to an alarming level, showing sleep deprivation. His leg was tapping continuously. He had anxiety. His hair was greasy- poor self-care, probably, going by that and the state of his clothes and thin frame. Darting eyes- nerves.

Something had happened to Alexander, something nobody knows. Abuse, depression, anything was possible- including John's father spreading lies.

"Alexander-"

"You have to believe me," he begged.

He looked so helpless... Lafayette felt a pang of pity. "I do."

"He sent me a subpoena today. What do I do, Laf?!"

"Nobody else will believe 'zis-"

"He made up fake files about me. So he has proof. And Eliza left me. She was pissed, so at the court case she'll go along with it."

"'Zen side with him, ami," Lafayette shrugged, taking another seat by John Laurens. The resemblance between him and his father was barely noticeable. If Lafayette didn't know better, he would guess they weren't related. Lafayette suddenly wished he had talked to his roommate before he was... in a coma.

"I can't," Alexander whispered, broken.

"Why not?"

"That's not... right! He is an abuser!"

"How do you know?"

Alexander blushed. "I... Burr... Burr and I saw him naked...? We didn't fuck; don't look at me like that! He... he came to our dorm and we wanted to prank him..."

Lafayette wondered if that was why Alexander looked broken now, tired and worn-down, but he didn't voice his question. "So you lie or die."

"Yes," Alexander said gravely. "I lie or die. And I have three days to choose."

}{

GUYS I WAS PROPERLY GENDERED FOR THE SECOND TIME IN MY LIFE TODAY IM SO HAPPY