eleven : third

{break a leg in everything you do daveed. and to you, renee, when you leave in the fall}

The courtroom was filling quickly, Alexander noted. He adjusted his tie as a pit of dread and anxiety formed in his stomach, and he swallowed down the lump in his throat.

Alexander knew who the judge was- Hercules Mulligan's father. He, instead of a beanie, wore small wire-rimmed glasses on the tip of his nose, and Alexander fought the urge to laugh at the cliché. Other than that, this man was just an older Hercules, and that made Alexander feel slightly more at ease. Slightly.

The next thing he noticed was that he was the only witness. It would truly be his word against Laurens'. Alexander was frightened. This case has the potential to ruin him (Of course he hadn't decided what to say when he went to the witness stand. He was Alexander Hamilton, after all.) or ruin John. It suddenly became quite stuffy and hard to breathe.

He also noticed Thomas Jefferson, finely groomed in his suit of purple. Alexander was glad his green suit was a muted green. As Alexander moved to his appointed seat, he felt Thomas' eyes on him. Alexander was frightened.

He finally noticed John Laurens' father, Henry. The sight of that man made his blood boil. He smiled a small, sarcastic smile at Alexander when their eyes locked. Alexander didn't return the wave. He sank lower in his chair.

Thomas Jefferson, however, wasn't worried. His mind wasn't on the case at all- it was on his destroyed phone. Without that, he had no access to his clients. Without that, he had no access to drugs. On the plus side, his parents wouldn't talk to him.

He was jerked back into reality when he saw Alexander, looking dapper in green. Thomas laughed- he thought he would be the only one not in black-and-white.

He sat by Alexander, which ticked him off. Couldn't he have sat near anyone else? Donald Trump sounded more preferable!

Thomas looked at John's father, and nodded. He was prepared to speak against Alexander. Alexander was Thomas' best client, and then he left. Thomas' money supply was noticeably smaller now, and it was his fault. If Thomas had to speak out against Alexander, it would be karma. Thomas looked at Alexander and smirked.

Thomas wasn't worried. Alexander was clearly panicked, going by his pale face and bouncing leg, which only would make Thomas relish his victory more. And how was he going to lose? Alexander would clearly be caught lying on the witness' stand. The court's reaction and his panic would be hilarious. And if Alexander told the truth, he got to verbally kick him in the balls. It was a win-win situation.

Henry was slightly put on edge, but only slightly. He saw Alexander and Thomas conferring. What were they talking about? Was Thomas going to abandon him? Were they planning something? The fact they both wore colour couldn't be a coincidence. It just couldn't be. What if Thomas had his articles? What if he could hack too?!

"Calm down, Henry," his defence attorney told him. "You're going to be fine. We're going to win this case."

His attorney was the exact opposite of him. He was calm and collected inside and out. His hair was neatly combed, his suit finely pressed, his briefcase catching the light attractively. He took a sip of water with a steady hand.

Henry despised him, but he forced down his hatred. "I suppose." He resumed biting his nails anxiously. Thomas and Alexander... Jefferson and Hamilton... they couldn't be scheming. Right?

"I saw the boy last night."

"John?" Henry looked up at the attorney, who was standing. It must have been to show dominance.