twenty : peggy

Peggy returned home the day Alexander told her that he was visiting, much to her disdain.

Peggy wasn't really a fan of her home. She was the third or fourth wheel in her own home, only known as the introductory 'and Peggy.'

She wanted to go out and be someone. Peggy wanted to make a name for herself, she wanted to go down in history as Peggy Schuyler, the Girl Who Changed the World. But at her home, she's nobody! It was hard for her to stay there.

At home, Angelica shined in her academics. Eliza soared in her kindness. Peggy hadn't found her wings yet- or, at least, that's what Daddy tells her when she asks.

Sure, she was smart. Angelica was smarter. She was kind, but not as kind as Eliza- especially now that she was jealous of her sisters.

Was it petty for her to run away?

Peggy walked in the house as quietly as possible, not wanting to get yelled at by her daddy.

Not that that worked. "Margarita Schuyler, where were you?"

Peggy winced. "At a friend's house."

"Whose?"

Peggy hesitated. "Thomas..."

"Thomas who?"

"Jefferson," she whispered to herself. Then, to her father, "Does it matter?"

He stormed into the kitchen, where she was. "Yes it matters! I need to talk to his family right now, and get you sorted out."

"Daddy, I'm perfectly-"

"My reputation is ruined!"

"How so?" Peggy fought back her own anger- her father was being irrational again.

"I had two worker's parties. You weren't there!"

"So what?! They never see me when I am there!"

Her father stared at her. "The next time you run away from home, you cannot come back." His voice was calm, the eye of the hurricane.

Won't that make your reputation worse? Peggy nodded. "Yes, Daddy. I'm sorry."

"Go to your room. The girls and John have been worried."

"Yes, Daddy." She ran up the stairs, hiking up her dress to run faster.

Her sisters hugged her the instant they saw her. "I was so worried," Eliza whispered in her ear.

Angelica broke off the hug and stared at Peggy, her hands on Peggy's shoulders. "Where were you?"

Peggy paused. How would she word this? She looked to John for help, but he was asleep next to Alexander, which made since. It was nearing midnight. "I..."

"Peggy, you can tell us. We won't be mad."

"I was with a friend."

"Which one?"

Peggy sighed. "T-Thomas..." She saw the look on the girl's faces, and immediately began to explain. "He's not that bad! He feels really bad for what he did to John and Alex. Thomas has really good intentions! And I like him..."

"I'm sorry?" Eliza looked at her sister. "Are you two dating?"

Peggy grinned. "I guess."