Chapter Three

ROSE

Waking up, the events of last night came back to me and I bolted upright in bed. I didn't recognise the room at first, it wasn't my bedroom that was for sure. For starters, this room was three times the size of my room back home and the decor represented me better than what my parents forced on me back home. Mum wanted two girly girls, well she got one and then there was me who preferred the colours black and purple and creepy stuff. I felt more at home than I had in a long time, maybe staying with vampire Chris wasn't going to be bad after all.

Throwing back the quilts that had somehow appeared on top of me in the night I talk myself out of getting out of bed and curse upon my bare feet touching the stone cold floor. I'd have to wear socks around this place. I find my bag and open it before rummaging through what little clothes I'd bought for me until I found a pair of fluffy black socks with bats on the toes, I had a feeling Chris would like them.

I wondered where Chris was in this pretty big house. I hadn't even bothered to open the curtains in the bedroom so I didn't know if it was night or day and my phone was dead. I'd stuffed my charger in the pocket of my hoodie just in case Chris had plugs somewhere in here. He might be a vampire but if he'd adapted through the ages hopefully he had wi-fi.

"Chris!"

When I got no reply I made my way downstairs back into the hallway by the front door. I guess I'd search room to room until I found the vampire unless he was asleep somewhere upstairs then my search would be pointless.

I found the lounge and dining room which had layers of dust and cobwebs on every surface, maybe if I got bored I'd clean the house up. I then stumbled upon probably my favourite room in the whole house, Chris had a very well stocked library and it looked to be the cleanest room in the house. It was attached to a study where there was a desk cluttered very high with papers of varying colours, I hated mess so that would have to change.

"I see you found my favourite room, Rose. How did you sleep?"

I jump as Chris appears behind me. He grins like an idiot before holding out a mug towards me, I smelt the coffee and my whole body woke up. I take the mug off him and blow on the hot beverage before bringing it to my lips.

"I slept very well. This room is amazing, though from what I've seen of the rest of the house some rooms need a good clean."

Chris chuckles and goes to sit behind the desk, "I've had a few hundred years to build my collection, Rose. Are you going to clean my house?"

"I might just have to Chris if I'm going to be staying here it needs to be more human-friendly."

I sip the coffee and take the armchair in front of the desk. It was quite amusing watching Chris shuffle through numerous papers while biting his lip in deep concentration. I quirk an eyebrow.

"You need to organise your desk Chris, I'll do it for you if you like. I hate the mess."

Chris looks up and tilts his head.

"You're going to come in useful Rose. I did some research last night and checked out some old journals, though I might have to get in touch with an old friend who might know more than me."

"There's someone older than you Chris?"

I knew Chris was old, but it was odd to think that someone had been around a lot longer than him. He'd seen so much of the world and lived through many major events. Then my mind clicked back to Chris's story, there was someone older than him. The vampire who turned him.

"Ville is an interesting character, we've remained friends over the centuries but he remains in Europe."

Just as I was about to question Chris further about Ville my stomach started to rumble. Chris laughed and I felt embarrassed.

"I'm human Chris and I eat food to survive like you drink blood. Do you have any food?"

Chris stops laughing and shakes his head, "Vampires can eat regular human food I just don't have any currently. Where can we get food at this time?"

What time was it exactly? I get up and make my way over to a window that was covered by a thick black curtain and pull it back slightly. It was dark outside.

"Chris, what time is it?"

"You slept all day, I'm starting to think you might be a vampire too. It's two in the morning. I got you here last night about one, so you've been out a day."

I'd always been a heavy sleeper and a night owl, but sleeping a whole day wasn't like me. I could only think of one place that would still be open at this time.

"Chris, we're going to Walmart, do you have a car?"

"What's a Walmart?"

I give Chris a what the hell look, everyone knew what Walmart was. Oh, I was going to have fun educating him.