Chapter Four

ROSE

On the ride to Walmart, I explained to Chris that it was a wondrous place where you could buy a lot of different things at cheap prices. Chris grumbled that it wasn't like the good old days where you had to go to the market and shop at different stalls for the essentials. I made a shopping list on my phone which Chris let me charge, apparently, he did have plugs and even wi-fi in his house.

To keep Chris amused I gave him the trolley to push. Luckily at this time, the shop was next to dead. It felt kind of odd walking around shopping with a vampire, Chris had dark sunglasses on because he didn't like the harsh store lights. We got a couple of odd looks from staff, but I told them it was rude to stare at a blind person and they backed off after apologising. Chris shook his head and said that was mean of me.

"Can we get Pop-Tarts Chris? Have you ever had one? They're delicious."

As soon as we hit the aisle that held the best food ever created by man I left Chris's side and became a kid in a candy shop. If I only had to live off one thing for the rest of my life it would be Pop-Tarts.

"We really should be buying healthy food Rose, sugar will rot your teeth and brain."

I scoff and run my fingers along the shelves enticed by the colourful boxes, Chris was sounding like a parent.

"Pretty please with a cherry on top Chris, I'll only eat them as a treat."

Chris sighs heavily and runs his fingers through his hair, it was the telltale sign that he'd given up arguing about my health.

"Fine, but I don't want you bouncing off the walls. Kids today aren't the same as they use to be."

I roll my eyes and start picking boxes off the shelf like they were going out of fashion. Chris wanted me to eat fruit so I got blueberry, cherry, and strawberry but I also got some less fruity options like hot fudge sundae, smores and good old choc chip. He didn't say anything as I dumped them in the trolley.

We continued our little shopping trip and Chris lightened up and started to enjoy himself. He wasn't very amused when we got to the costume aisle and I found some fake fangs I insisted he buys for me so I could pretend to be a vampire, Chris deadpanned and said he could turn me into the real thing if I wanted to be a vampire.

Chris and I played rock paper scissors and he lost so had to put away the shopping when we got back to the house much to his distaste. I sat on the counter and swung my legs while eating some grapes that Chris forced me to eat after I devoured half a box of Pop Tarts in the car ride back.

"We should probably talk about the rules, Rose. I guess since you're under eighteen and you're living with me that makes me your guardian of sorts, which means you'll be continuing education."

I roll my eyes and continue to eat the grapes, "as soon as I started sensing death my parents pulled me out of regular school so neighbours wouldn't talk, I do it online but I kind of struggle with a couple of subjects so I don't really like to do the classes so I cheat and Google the answers."

Chris furrows his eyebrows, "which subjects do you struggle with? I've been around a while maybe I can tutor you."

I guess having a vampire as a tutor could only work wonders on your slipping grades. I tap my chin and jump off the counter putting the grapes to one side.

"I'll grab my laptop and show you the subjects Chris; I might just pass high school after all."

Chris chuckles and goes back to unpacking the shopping while I run upstairs to grab my laptop.

However I feel a chill on my feet as I make my way back down the stairs, and when I look up I see the front door is wide open. It wasn't open a few minutes ago.

"Err Chris, did you open the front door?"

I'm met by silence. Not liking the draft I close the front door but not before in the corner of my eye I see something black flash behind me.

"Chris, if this is some sort of joke it's not funny."

"I'm not Chris and you smell delicious."

I'm pushed roughly against the front door and come face to face with a man I'd never seen before in my life. His eyes turn black and his smirk is sinister, a shiver runs down my spine.

"Josh put her down right now, I know you're hungry but we're guests in Chris's home and lovely Rose here is under Chris's protection."

Over Josh's shoulder, I lock eyes with another stranger, but the way he reached out and touched Josh on the shoulder put me at ease especially with Chris stood behind him with wide eyes. Josh laughs and releases me. Chris is by my side quicker than I can catch my breath checking me out to see if Josh had hurt me.

"Chill Angelo I wasn't going to do anything, I'm more curious as to why Chris has a human running around his house and treats her like an equal."

Josh pushes off his hood revealing a bald but heavily tattooed head while Angelo sighs and shakes his head before walking towards the living room. Josh sniggers and follows after Angelo leaving me alone with Chris.

"Angelo, as in your apprentice? You turned him into a vampire?"

Chris nods, "I didn't turn Josh though that was all Angelo. Now I should probably see what my old friends are doing here out of the blue."

I let Chris put a hand on my back and push me reluctantly after the other two vampires. When we reached the living room Angelo and Josh had made themselves comfortable on one of the many leather sofas. I ignore Josh's stares and claim the armchair opposite Angelo while Chris sits down opposite Josh.

An old grandfather clock ticks loudly as a comfortable silence fills the room. Angelo clears his throat causing me to look up from my laptop where I was browsing Tumblr.

"You probably want to know why we're here Chris. Well, we're here because a little birdy told us that Ville was coming into town."

Angelo's whole body language changed when he mentioned Ville's name. He went from being quite relaxed to tense, he kept clenching his knuckles like he wanted to hit something but was restraining himself.

"That doesn't explain why you're here Angelo. I invited Ville to help me with something. You have every right to hold a grudge against him for what he did, but your life is so much better now."

I turn my attention to Chris and close my laptop, was he trying to poke an angry dog with a stick? Josh claps his hands together and stands up motioning me to stand up as well. I still didn't trust him that much because he attacked me, but I kind of wanted to be anywhere but here when Chris finally pushed Angelo past his breaking point.

"Say, human, why don't you show me where I can grab a bite to eat around here? Unless you want to stay for the brawl, one human in a room with two vampires you wouldn't last a second dear."

Chris and Angelo continue staring each other down. If Josh really was that dangerous Chris would have made a move to stop me from going with him, but since Chris remained silent I decided what's the worst that could happen if I help Josh feed. At least if I was with Josh I could steer him away from an innocent and stop a bloodbath in town.

"Chris we're going to take your car."

When I get no response I edge past Chris and Angelo and accept Josh's outstretched arm and loop mine through his. On the way out of the living room I grab the car keys and swing them around my finger, tonight was going to be interesting. Just how many vampires or supernatural creatures were going to roll into town?