Chapter Eight

CHRIS

There were two vampires on the grounds. I left Rose with Ville and Lauri and took Angelo and Josh outside with me to scout the grounds and find the vampires. What was luring vampires to this small seemingly harmless town? Angelo and Josh rolled into town because of Ville and Lauri.

"I'll go around the back of the house, Josh stay here out front and Chris takes the surrounding graveyard."

I didn't take orders from Angelo usually, but if these vampires were here to do harm Angelo could be more level-headed and calm whereas I'd be more likely to vamp out and cause some damage before asking why they were here in the first place.

One of the vampires was definitely lurking in the graveyard.

"Come out, show yourself. This is my property and you're not welcome here."

Behind me, the grass rustles despite there being no wind. Someone tackles me to the floor, but being a slightly older vampire I easily overpowered the younger vampire and pinned him to the cold ground. Then I recognised who had decided to come on my private property, Vinny Mauro.

"You're no fun, Chris. Are you going to let me up?"

Before I can answer him the second vampire pushes me off of the younger male, I roll before getting back to my feet and watch Ryan help Vinny off the ground looking slightly pissed off.

"No one touches my mate Chris, even if you are an old friend."

Ryan had always been somewhat of a wildcard, he was unpredictable but would die for his vampire mate Vinny. I raise my hands in front of me to try and calm my friend down.

"In my defence, I didn't know you guys were going to show up, and I don't like people trespassing on my property."

Ryan nods and unclenches his fist, he understood why I did what I did.

"Ryan, Vinny, what are you two doing here?"

Angelo appears by my side while Josh flanks my other side. Ryan steps forwards and Angelo meets him halfway hugging like they hadn't seen each other in years, which for vampires was very normal.

"Word is that this town is the place to be for vampires. Actually, I got a phone call off Lauri of all people so Vinny and I decided to come and join the party."

Of course, Lauri called Ryan. With Angelo and Josh here who weren't his and Ville's biggest fans, Lauri decided to bring in some reinforcements of his own.

"There's nothing to see here."

Ryan snorts, "Nice try Chris, the word is you have a human living with you. Since when did you go soft?"

"Rose is off limits, Ryan. Besides she's not an ordinary human, so no feeding on her."

I was surprised how defensive Josh sounded. He'd bonded with Rose the most and didn't want to see any hurt come her way.

Angelo clears his throat, "shall we take this conversation inside? I'm pretty sure Rose is curious and we did leave her with Ville and Lauri."

I nod, not wanting to leave Rose alone with those two vampires any longer. They were persuasive, Rose was strong but Ville and Lauri were stronger both physically and mentally.

ROSE

"Did you like my little surprise, Chris?"

Lauri chuckles from his seat as Chris re-enters scowling, with two new people in tow behind him who weren't Angelo and Josh.

"Yes, I was ecstatic Lauri."

The two new additions stay close to each other but both stare at me as if they were thinking how they could eat me before Chris or the others stopped them.

"Rose is a friend, she's not food."

Ville's words put a stop to the staring; it was kind of like he was scolding two misbehaving children.

"Rose, I'd like to introduce you to Vinny and Ryan. If you can't already tell they're vampires like the rest of us."

The smaller of the two vampires' shuffles forwards, he gave off a warm friendly vibe and had the cutest baby face I'd ever seen.

"I'm Vinny."

His smile could melt butter. I go to shake his hand but Chris clears his throat grabbing both of our attention.

"Don't be fooled by his cuteness Rose. Vinny's power is absolute cuteness as silly and made up as it sounds. He can use his overwhelming cuteness to control and affect others; Vinny uses it for both benevolent and malevolent means."

Vinny giggles, "Guilty as charged Rose. But make up your own mind about me, don't let Chris control your life."

I see Chris visibly tense behind Vinny but Angelo holds him back. I could see that Vinny was going to be feisty and sassy.

"And now I'll introduce myself. I'm Ryan and Vinny's my mate."

I nod and actually shake his hand, "what can you do?"

"Body immobilisation, meaning I can freeze a person which comes in handy sometimes. So if you ever need somebody frozen Rose I'm your vampire."

My phone goes off in my pocket and every vampire in the room stares at me. I check the caller ID and am both surprised and happy to see that my only real friend Oliver Sykes was checking up on me.

"Rose has a boyfriend! Who's Oliver?"

Vinny squeals like a teenage girl and all I can do is roll my eyes.

"Oli's a friend from school, the only person who doesn't think I'm strange. Now be quiet."

I accept the call and don't really move because vampires had good hearing and would hear the conversation no matter which room I went in.

"Hi, Rose. I saw you weren't at school and wanted to see how you were doing after everything."

Oli was a genuine person and I was happy to call him a friend.

"Yeah, I'm good Oli thanks for checking up on me. I needed some time away after my sister's death so I'll be doing some school work from home for a few weeks."

"I understand, I'd take time off as well. Do you fancy meeting in town for coffee?"

It would be nice to get out of a house full of vampires and spend some time with another human.

"I'd like that, we could meet up tomorrow. Just message me a time and I'll see you in our spot."

"I'll message you later, got to go though homework's a bitch. Bye."

Oli hangs up like he usually does before I get a chance to say bye, but I would see him tomorrow so all was good.

"You're not going alone, Rose."

I stare at Chris not quite believing what I was hearing; I was capable of going places on my own.

"I'll go with her, I want to explore the town more."

Josh vamp speeds next to my side and squeezes my shoulder. If someone was going to go with me then I was happy to have Josh.

"Vinny and I will go to, we want a chance to stretch our feet. We might also explore."

Ryan pipes up and Chris groans from across the room. He wasn't happy about Vinny and Ryan coming to town with me, but he couldn't complain because he insisted I wasn't allowed to meet Oli on my own.

"So that's sorted then. Josh, Ryan and Vinny are accompanying me into town tomorrow."

I clap my hands together stopping Chris from complaining once again. Well, this had been an exciting night, but now I was feeling quite tired and didn't want to deal with any more vampire drama.