Chapter Six

ROSE

Josh was quite animated on the drive back to the house, then again that could be all the coffee he'd just consumed. I'd always thought that vampires only drank blood, sure Chris had busted a few myths on our shopping adventure but Josh filled in a few more blanks. He pointed out that blood was addictive to vampires, just like humans could get addicted to caffeine, but that it was easy for humans to get hooked on drinking blood even if they weren't a vampire so why couldn't it be the same with vampires and coffee. I kind of zoned out after he ordered his fourth espresso, at least we gave the coffee shop good business.

However, Josh became mute and tensed in his seat as we approached the large iron gates that led up to Chris's mansion. I took that as a bad sign, so I drove at a snail's pace up the long winding drive.

"Josh, you're kind of unnerving me right now. What's wrong? Are Chris and Angelo still having sex?"

Josh shakes his head.

"You're going to pull up behind another car, I need you to promise me that you'll stay with me at all times Rose. Chris obviously has a soft spot for you and I don't exactly want to see you dead either."

"Who's in the car, Josh?"

As we rounded the final corner just as Josh said there was a black car parked outside the front door. I take a deep breath and cut the engine.

"Vampires Rose, two to be precise. They are older than Chris and know a few more tricks. Promise me you'll stay behind me."

Josh was pleading with me; if he was scared by these two vampires then I had every right to be as a human. I smile weakly in his direction and nod.

"I promise Josh. Now we should get out of the car."

We get out of the car and I shuffle quickly to Josh's side and hide behind him as I promised. The driver and passenger doors open on the other car and in the darkness I couldn't make out what they looked like but a wave of unease washed over me.

"Long time no see Joshua, how is your sire Angelo? Still holding a grudge against me?"

The driver spoke with a European accent, this had to be Ville. He left Angelo for dead forcing Chris's hand in turning him into one of the undead. He steps out of the shadows and the moon in the sky illuminates him, damn he was a beautiful man.

Josh grabs my hand and I squeeze his.

"Why don't you ask him yourself Ville? Besides, I thought the invite-only called for you, not to invite a friend."

Ville chuckles in his deep voice and makes a hand motion for the other vampire to step forwards. I tug Josh's arm and he snaps his head in my direction.

"Err Josh I think you pissed him off. Besides you and Angelo weren't invited either, just putting that out there."

"She has sass this human, I think I like her already Ville."

The second vampire emerges from the shadows with a similar accent to Ville's. He looked younger than Ville, he had what I would call baby face but being a vampire I wouldn't call him that name to his face. Plus he appeared to have feathers in the back of his hair, an unusual fashion choice but it kind of suited him.

Josh growls, "stay away from her, she's under Chris's protection."

The younger vampire smiles and raises his hands in mock surrender. Next thing I know he lunges at Josh who roughly pushes me to the side to stop me being hit by a speeding vampire. I would have hit the ground if a hand hadn't darted out and grabbed my own to stop me from falling, and when I look up I look into Ville's eyes which seemingly looked innocent but he also was a centuries-old vampire so looks could be deceiving.

"We haven't been formally introduced, I'm Ville and you're the human to whom Chris says has the death sense power."

He helps me back to my feet and releases my hand. I glance over to where Josh and the mystery vampire were fighting before turning my attention back to Ville.

"Yeah I am, but you can call me Rose. If you don't mind me asking, but who is your vampire friend?"

Ville laughs, "Lauri is more than a vampire friend dear Rose. He's my lover, very much like Chris and Angelo are if they stopped denying their feelings for each other."

I turn my attention back to the fighting vampires. It seemed that whenever Josh went to make an attack that Lauri was somehow able to counter it.

"What's Lauri's power? You manipulate fire right?"

"I see Chris told you how we met Rose, yes I can manipulate fire. But Lauri has a very interesting power, he can see an opponent's attack before they make it so is able to evade or counter it. Of course, Joshua doesn't know this because he's never met Lauri before."

I go to shout something to Josh when behind Ville and I the front door creaks open. Josh and Lauri stop their fight, Lauri returning to Ville's side while Josh speeds to my side and starts to check me out for any injuries Ville might have caused. Chris stands quite menacingly in the doorframe half illuminated in light cast from inside, while I can just about make out Angelo stood behind Chris's right shoulder.

"What took you two so long? You were only going out to find Josh someone to eat."

Why did I feel like a kid being scolded by their parent for staying out past their curfew? I shuffle closer to Josh and we share a look before he sighs and clears his throat.

"There was an explosion and the only survivor was the idiot who lit up at a petrol station so with Rose's help we tracked him down and I had a pretty nice meal. Rose then wanted to come back, but I said the two of you were probably having your annual hate fuck so we went and grabbed a coffee or three to pass the time."

Next to Josh, Lauri laughs under his breath before being nudged in the side by Ville who steps forwards towards Chris.

"A lovely tale Joshua weaves, now how about we get down to why you called me here Chris?"

Chris nods and moves aside. Ville gracefully walks up the cracked stairs and past Chris but not before shooting Angelo a smirk, if looks could kill Ville would be dead.

"After you my lady."

Lauri motions for me to go ahead of him, and I hated to admit it but the gesture made my heart beat just that little bit faster. Behind me, Josh growls but Lauri blocks him from view.

"Thanks."

I quickly make my way up the steps and past Chris who had a worried look in his eyes; damn he really was turning into a parent figure. I stop in front of Angelo and pat his shoulder before smiling, he smiles back at me. This was going to be a very long night.