Chapter Five

ROSE

Josh complained about not being able to drive Chris's car, and when I questioned whether or not he had a driver's licence he stated that after all the years he'd been on this earth that he'd never once crashed a car hence why he didn't need a piece of plastic.

"So what's your story, Rose? Chris tolerates interaction but chose isolation for a reason, you don't quite make sense."

I tighten my grip on the steering wheel and scoff, none of this made sense. I shouldn't be able to tell when people are going to die and supernatural creatures shouldn't exist.

"The reason Chris invited Ville was because of me Josh, I have death sense and it's how Chris and I actually met. He thinks Ville will know a thing or two because of his age."

Josh throws his head back and laughs, "death sense in a human, not possible kid. You crack me up. I only gained my power after my death and well rebirth."

I swear Josh was bi-polar or something, one minute he was quiet and broody, next he wanted to attack me and now he was laughing. I turn the car into the nearest car park and come to a halt.

"I'm being serious Josh, I was running away but Chris said he could help me understand my power so I could eventually go back to living around humans."

Josh stops laughing once he takes note that I wasn't finding his response funny.

"Prove it then Rose."

Luckily we were parked just across from the gas station when I took in the sight in front of me. I close my eyes and let my mind show me the death and destruction to come.

"See the tanker filling up, the driver doesn't know but his tank has a slow leak which has been dripping fuel since before he arrived. Slowly the fuel starts to pool and spread towards other cars, but because of the recent rain shower drivers only see puddles of rainwater at their feet. A guy in a fancy convertible is going to pull in to fill up and ignore the sign stating you shouldn't smoke, he's going to light up and the whole place is going to go up in flames. The intensity of the heat and power of the explosion will kill everyone before the first emergency service arrives. But the smoker does survive and makes a run for it."

I open my eyes and turn to face Josh who was watching me with intense concentration. I tap my fingers on the car wheel and wait for him to give me a response.

"I can hear the heartbeats of twelve people including three children under the age of eight. So they just die, you can't step in."

I shake my head and feel tears prick my eyes. When children were involved it always made it harder to witness, especially knowing I couldn't intervene. Children were innocent when their parents bought them out tonight they could never have imagined that they'd be cruelly taken from this world.

"I don't want to tempt fate Josh, I quite like my life. But I guess we've found you a meal. I hope you like a smoker."

"That son of a bitch will pay for killing all those people and being a coward and running away."

Just as Josh finishes his rant the convertible in questions pulls into the station. We watch as the stupid guy blatantly blows off the warning signs and lights up a cigarette. Even though I know the explosion is coming I still jump as the station goes up in flames and a large plume of smoke billows into the sky. Next, to me, Josh curses as our car feels a slight vibration from the explosion.

"Now do you believe me, Josh?"

The vampire nods as the shock disappear. I turn the engine back on and put the car in reverse, we had an idiot to track down so Josh could feed.