Chapter Nineteen

*Final Chapter - Will be an epilogue*

CHRIS

Carrying Rose's lifeless body up the drive was probably the toughest thing I'd ever faced since the night the Police told me my wife and daughter had been murdered. Rose looked even younger and innocent in my arms; she was my second chance of having a family. I should have fought harder to make her stay at the house instead of going to see Oli, but like my first daughter she was stubborn and knew how to wrap me around her little finger.

"We'll go ahead and field any questions, Chris. Come in when you're ready."

Josh pats my arm while looking down at Rose with tears in his eyes, the two of them were close. Josh didn't let that many people in but he let Rose in. I nod, unable to speak. I watch the vampire wipe the tears away with the back of his hand before walking up the stairs and into the house.

Ricky follows not far after him unable to make eye contact with either me or Rose. I should hate his guts, he killed her. But then I needed to remember that it wasn't him that dealt the final blow, it was Oli in his head pulling the strings. If he couldn't have Rose then he was going to take her away from Ricky. I felt sorry for him really, him and Rose were perfect for each other.

"Here we go little one, your family wants to see you."

I walk up the stairs and stand on the porch just outside of the open front door hearing everyone talking inside. Her injuries were extensive, she was covered head to toe in blood which had already started to congeal, and there was no way she would have survived. Even if Ricky had given her his blood earlier she still would have died.

Shaking my head I carry Rose over the threshold of our house, yes I said our house because she lived her to. The voices stop as I approach the lounge, it was kind of unnerving having everyone stop their conversations and focus all their attention in my direction. I had to stay strong, they didn't need to see me crumble tonight.

"How about we take her upstairs away from prying eyes, Chris?"

Ville appears by my side and starts to guide me towards the stairs. I was thankful he was here. I knew Rose wouldn't want to be checked over in front of everyone, she deserved at least some privacy in death.

"Thanks, Ville. But there's no use, she's gone."

Ville shakes his head as he pushes Rose's bedroom door open, "she's not gone till I give her the final check over Chris. You're too emotional right now, you could have missed something."

I place Rose gently onto the bed and step back allowing Ville to set about, he was the pro at this.

"Ricky's blood wasn't in her system long enough before he snapped her neck Ville, plus her injuries are extensive and deep."

"As I said Christopher you're too emotional, did Rose have any bruising around the neck area?"

I approach Ville and crouch down next to him, "of course she did."

He shakes his head and motions towards her throat. My eyes widen upon seeing the bruises had all but vanished.

"That's not possible, his blood wasn't in her system long enough."

He chuckles, "your eye was trained to the extensive injuries and all the blood, but bruises heal faster than cuts and lacerations. It might take some time but it looks like Rose is coming back Chris."

I stand up and start to pace around the room. How could I have been so stupid as to not see the bruises healing? Here I was thinking the worse when Ricky's blood was working.