Chapter Eleven

1 WEEK LATER

ROSE

I needed to get out of the house again; vampires didn't give you any privacy but expected me to respect their privacy, the only downfall of having a heartbeat. Chris was more than happy for me to head back into town again saying that I'd get used to living with vampires one day. Josh joked that Chris was trying to get me use to vampires because one day I might become one.

Ricky wanted to tag along and I had no problem because out of the new vampires I seemed to get along with him as well as I got along with Josh. I might also have been developing some feelings for the vampire, but he could do so much better than me a mere human.

"So what do you want to do in town Rose?"

Ricky looks up from his phone as I tap my nails on the steering wheel.

"I'm going to change my hair colour I think. What colour do you think I should go, Ricky?"

"I think you could pull off a dark blue colour, I can't see you with lighter coloured hair. Yeah, dark blue is the way to go."

I laugh, "Thanks, Ricky. Now tell me why you really wanted to tag along today."

Ricky's face drops knowing he'd been busted. He puts his phone away and stares out of the passenger window avoiding eye contact.

"Err I want to see the town."

I shake my head, for a vampire, he was a terrible liar.

"You can tell me the truth, Ricky. Does it have something to do with Chris? Because he was a lot happier when you said you were coming."

He turns to face me, his large racoon like eyes widen and realisation washes over his features. I'd discovered the reason for his tagging along.

"I'm going to just come out and say it Rose, and then you can choose to hate me or kick me out of the car—"

"Stop rambling Ricky, I don't think I'm going to hate you."

I interrupt him, and if he could breathe he'd most likely let out the breath he'd have been holding.

"I think you're really beautiful Rose and I'm not just saying that. The others have been making fun of me saying I need to tell you how I feel. I understand if you don't like me back, I'm just some emo vampire."

Ricky was just adorable. I pull into the car park near the hair salon and kill the engine. Ricky was unable to look at me; he'd obviously taken by silence as rejection which wasn't true. I now knew the feelings were mutual. Sighing, I reach for his hand and hold it in mine stroking his knuckles.

"I think it's kind of funny that Chris is all against me dating another human, but he has no problem with me dating a vampire. What I'm trying to say Ricky is that I might also like you back, but I'm unsure how things would work between a human and a vampire."

Ricky's face lights up as if I'd given him the best news in the whole world.

"I guess we figure things out along the way if you want to give us a go Rose. Chris is a strange creature. I mean he was a father and had a daughter your age but then he lost her tragically, and now you've come into his life and he has a second chance to be a father which has bought out his old self which is nice for everyone around him."

It warmed my heart knowing that by coming into Chris's life I'd made him feel better and healed something in his heart he'd lost hundreds of years ago. While at the same time he'd made me feel welcome and loved for the first time in a very long time. We were good for each other apparently, and I didn't want to lose him anytime soon.

"Well I'm happy I could help him come out of his shell Ricky, now let's get my hair done and then we'll get some coffee."

Ricky cheers and gets out of the car; I swear all these vampires ran on coffee instead of blood.

~1 Hour Later~

I loved my new hair colour, Ricky was right about dark blue suiting me. I just wanted to jump up and down and stroke my new hair all day. I'd kept the length but had the ends neatened up and fringe reshaped. Ricky held the salon door open for me while balancing two cups of coffee in his other hand.

"I should be a hair stylist Rose; I've missed my calling in life."

I laugh and shake my head if Ricky opened a hair salon I'd be a regular customer. Taking my coffee we start to walk down the street back towards the car park when we walk around the corner and bump into Oli of all people who looked surprised not just to see me but shocked to see me with another guy.

"Rose good to see you again, I'm so sorry for walking out on you a week ago. You know I don't deal well with anger and those eight know how to push all my buttons."

Oli sounded apologetic, but he had nothing to apologise for. It was the bigger move for him to leave and let out his anger not in public like he usually would have done. Ignoring Ricky's glare I pull Oli into a hug.

"I forgive you Oli, I'm happy you didn't blow up in public like they wanted you to. This is Ricky, he's new to town."

RICKY

Oli blinks a couple of times before offering his hand for me to shake, "nice to meet you, Ricky, I'm Oli."

I shake his hand noticing the forced nature of his voice, this was the guy who'd been friend zoned by Rose when he had feelings for her. But now she admitted to liking me and I couldn't help but feel smug.

"You're the friend who always sticks up and defends Rose. I'm happy she has someone like you Oli."

Oli glares at me and releases my hand, but not before I feel a wave of unease and darkness wash over me if that was even possible. There was nothing physically off about Oli, everyone told me he was human so I didn't think anything of the unknown feeling taking over my body.

"I'm happy the two of you got to meet. But Ricky and I should be going now Oli, we'd hate to keep you from the rest of your day."

"Well, look what we have here girls, the emo slut leading on two guys. You're pathetic Rose."

A blonde girl appears behind Rose surrounded by three other girls who laugh and point at Rose making her shuffle on the spot feeling uncomfortable. These had to be the girls Josh and Chris were talking about, the bullies from Rose's high school who were cheerleaders with her deceased sister.

"Back the hell away or be prepared to watch your backs."

I step in front of Rose putting her behind me while staring the bullies down trying not to vamp out in front of humans. The girls cower back looking pale despite the fake tan, I could do intimidating like there was no tomorrow.

"Let's leave the freaks alone. Come on girls." The blonde snorts, before leading the other three girls away quickly trying to hide their fear for me.

"Thank you for defending her, Ricky. I think I'm going to leave you guys now. Bye Rose."

Oli and Rose hug, and then I notice him smirking in my direction before walking off with a spring in his step. Once he's out of sight Rose throws herself at me burying her head in my shoulder.

"Wow Ricky, you put the fear of God in them. Now let's drink our coffee and enjoy the rest of the day."

I laugh and hug her back.