1. The Beginning

All I Did Was Help.

“10!”

“9!”

“8!”

“7!”

“6!”

“5!”

“4!”

“3!”

“2!”

“1!”

Happy new year, sweetie.” Zak's sweet voice fluttered in my ear as his lips pecked mine. I looked at him and giggled as his soft lips escaped mine. He looked utterly ridiculous to say the least. Wearing a horrible Christmas sweater, it was the theme of this year's New Years Eve party. His sweater matched mine, a pale green with little snowmen lining it with glitter and snowflakes and 3D bulbs. They were horrid. Zak was sporting his glasses and his famous hair-do, black jeans, and green shoes to pull off the look. I was wearing black dress pants and a pair of cute heels. My hair was curled, and I decided to wear my glasses. Everybody thought our matching outfits were cute, what can I say? We are an adorable couple.

“Happy New Year, Zak.” I smiled at him, pulling him into a hug, “What do you say we go home?” Zak pulled away from my small hug, and rose his dark eyebrows before chuckling.

“Oh really?” Zak smiled, “What do you suppose we can do at home that is an awful lot more fun that this boring get-together?” Zak's voice was husky and raspy. His cold was slowly decaying from his system. He was still coughing and wheezing, but not as bad.

“Oh, you know.” I whispered, trailing my fingers up his chest. I gave him a seductive smile, “We could sleep..” Zak laughed loudly, throwing his head back and catching the attention of a few girls who had obviously not gotten the memo about the ugly Christmas Sweater theme this year. They look at Zak, winking and then proceeded to give me a dirty look, as if I wasn't used to this by now. “Why's that so funny?” I questioned, pretending to be angry.

“You made me think we were going to go home, have some wine, make out and maybe- If I'm lucky – have sex, but noo. You want to sleep.” Zak laughed at himself again, and I rolled my eyes.

“Whatever!” I hissed at him. “You horny bastard.” Zak laughed once again. “Stop laughing!”

“Make me!” Zak smiled, grabbing my hips with his hands. I simply glared at him. “Can we please go home?” Zak smiled.

“Yes, Zachary.” I smiled, “We can go home.” We said our good-bye's to Nick's family who was hosting to party and we left, watching the Vegas roads home. There weren't that many people on the roads, but Vegas drivers are pretty crazy. We finally made it home, our home still straddled with Christmas lights on the porch and around the door. We hadn't got the energy to take them down just yet. I let out a soft sigh, and smiled as we walked up to the door. Zak unlocked the doors, pushed the door open, and turned the lights on. We were greeted with the barking of Gracie. Zak gave her a firm scratch behind her ears and continued on his way to the kitchen. He sat his keys down as I shut the door and locked it. The house was pretty clean, a few miscellaneous objects scattered throughout the kitchen that we hadn't bothered to take care of. I plopped down on the couch as Zak fished around in the fridge. I picked up the remote, and began flipping through the channels, I found a show on Adult Swim that looked at least a little bit appealing, and leaned back. The house was warm, I was happy that we had decided to turn to heat on before we left.

A few moments later, Zak returned with two glasses of wine. I smiled at him and took one. “When do you guys leave for another investigation?” I asked softly.

“We leave a few days before Valentines Day – remember? We go to Longfellows Wayside Inn for a Valentines Day Special. I asked you if you wanted to come, because I might not be able to get back for Valentines Day, and I wanted to do something special for you.” Zak exclaimed, sitting his glass on the coffee table without taking a sip out of it.

“I know, I just haven't made up my mind yet.” I muttered. Zak didn't say anything for a few moments, just slowly eyeballed me.

“Well make up your mind!” Zak smiled at me, his dazzling smile distracting me from my thoughts.

“I will!” I laughed. “Of course I want to spend Valentines day with you but I-” Suddenly, Zak shamed his lips to mine, almost knocking the wine glass out of my hand. He slowly took the glass from my hands, his lips never leaving mine – and pushed me down on the couch. His hands roamed the sides of my body, and a chill ran up my spine.

Oh god, I missed this. Zak pulled away after a moment. “We're getting too old for this,” Zak laughed softly.

“How do you say?” I smiled.

“My back hurts.” Zak laughed, and I laughed along with him. I hope this year is good for us, but knowing our luck – it won't be.