4. It's time to take a break.

Zak Bagans

I wasn't sure of what my intentions were when I escaped Marilyn in her stage. I found myself walking along the sidewalk through the elder part of Sadbury, soft snowflakes falling around me, my frozen hands shoved in my pockets, and my breath forming clouds around me. I watched as the sighs glowed through the snow. This place was so magical, and somewhere deep inside of me – I wanted to stay here.

“Excuse me,” A voice shouted from behind me. Instantly, I stopped – turning around on my heel and wandering my eyes until I found the body that fit the voice, “Are you Zak Bagans?” I wasn't in the mood for this.

“I'm afraid not,” I smiled, “I'm sorry.” The girl frowned, and turned – walking away without muttering another word. I laughed at this – if only she would’ve looked closer. I continued walking until my phone interrupted my walk. I sighed, ignoring it – looking up at the blinking stripper sign that glowed in front of me. And I decided to do something that I haven't did since I met Marilyn – go to a strip-bar.

Marilyn Anderson

“Oh Nick!” I cried into the pillows of the hotel bed, “What did I do?” It was around 9 am., Zak was nowhere to be found, Nick and Aaron were freaking out because they were suppose to meet a person to interview – and Zak was no where to be found. When Nick had informed me of my decision to get drunk last night with Ashley – I automatically thought it was my fault. Zak had escaped from Longfellow’s to get away from me, and they had no idea the emotion that washed over me. My head was pounding, and I didn't even want to be up right now – nor did I want to run after Zak this early in the morning.“Why!?” I cried.

“Marilyn, it's not your fault.” Nick attempted to consul, “It's not your fault. Zak is just taking one of his lengthy breathers. He will be back.” I shook my head – I doubted this. This time I must've really fucked up – or he did. I was wondering where he had went – since Zak left last night around midnight – he should've been back by now. So now the question that loomed was – where was he?

“Try calling him again,” Nick offered, “This time from my phone. He had more of a chance answering me than you – no offense.” I offered a small smile to Nick and took his iPhone from his hands. Scrolling down his contacts until I finally reached Zak's name, and pushed call.

It rang, and rang, and rang some more. Just when I was about to give up – a voice answered his phone, “Hello?” A raspy voice answered. This voice as obviously not Zak's. This voice took upon a feminine ring to it.

“Um, Hello?” I asked confused, “Is this Zak's phone?”

“Who's Zak?” The feminine voice replied.

“The owner of this phone. Ya'know – he's pretty tall, black hair, too much gel, wears a cross-” I was interrupted by giggling from the other end of the phone.

“Oh yeah,” The girl giggled, “Me and Zak had fuuuuuuuuuuuuun last night.” My eyebrows shot up and my mouth flew open. Nick was eying me, and Billy – who was stretched out on the bed beside me- leaned closer to the phone so he could hear.

“Oh really?” I questioned, “What'd you do?”

“Dirty things,” The girl giggled, “Oo!” She squealed, “I have to go. He's waking up.” The girl hung up the phone, and I dropped the phone on the bed.

“No,” I whispered. The phone bounced on the ground and I slowly stood up. “No, No..” I couldn't breathe. I couldn't speak beyond a whisper. I stood up – and I ran. I didn't know where I was going – all I knew is that I needed to get away from the boys, get away from life. I heard Nick calling my name, but he knew to leave me be. Ignoring the other guests, I ran to the stairs, flying down them – until I finally stopped after hitting the lobby.“Why?!” I screamed into my hands, my tear stained cheeks dripping on the concrete.

Was this happening?

Was this real?

This a is a dream. I pulled a piece of skin between my thumb and pointer finger and squeezed, “Wake up!” I screamed at myself. But I knew this wasn't a dream. Zak cheated, and now what do I do? I couldn't move, I sat there sobbing. Until a warm pair of arms wrapped around me after what seemed like hours.

“Come on, Marilyn. Come on.” I allowed myself to be pulled up to a standing position. Billy's sorrow filled eyes looking at me, “He will come back,” He tried to consul, “He'll come around. He's just being Zak.” I couldn't take that as an answer. Zak wasn't just being Zak. He was acting like something totally different. Billy pulled me up the stairs, muttering apologies to the staff. The staff should've knew what they had got themselves into when they invited us to investigate. In moments we were back at my room. Billy towed me to my bed, “Happy Valentines Day, Marilyn.”

Later that day, when I woke from my mid-morning sorrow nap, I called a Crew meeting. I picked at my nails while the boys stared at me, “I think I need a break.” I began. The boys stared at me, confused and lost, “From Ghost Adventures, I mean. Maybe it's time for me to take a break. Go back to Pennsylvania for a few weeks. Maybe I could go visit Pennhurst or something.”

“But Marilyn,” Billy whispered, staring at me, “But.. you're part of this crew. We can't go on investigations without you.”

“Yes you can!” I argued, “Ashley is just as good at taking photos as I am! Maybe she can replace me. I just don't think I can do this anymore.” The boys stared at me blindly. “I just think it'll be best for the crew.”

The boys were silence for what seemed like forever, until Nick spoke up, “I respect your decision Marilyn, you do what you feel is the best for you. We will support your decision nonetheless.” I smiled.

“Thank you, Nick.” I smiled. Nick nodded slowly, swallowed hard, and slowly made his way out of the room. One by one, the boys left the room. I let out a soft breath – and walked over to my bed, grabbing my laptop and ordering a plane ticket back to Pennsylvania. And from somewhere deep inside of the room, I could feel Jerusha's eyes on me – and I could feel the sorrow she felt when her lover had left her.

-------------

Well shit, how late is this?! Guys I'm so sorry! My manager has me working shitty shifts, and school has got me tied up, on top of that I broke the power cord to my computer. -,-

Anyways, hope you guys eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejoy! Tell me what you think in a message/comment or just vote!