13. Step One

Chapter 13 – Step One

~Two Months Later~

“Zak, please, she needs you.” Those were the only words I needed to hear to speed over to the hospital at the speed of light. In all that mattered, Marilyn was awake. I wasn't sure how she had woken up so quickly if she was in a coma, but damn, was I glad she was.

I was thoroughly surprised when I made it to the hospital without a speeding ticket. Marilyn had been in a coma for about 2 months now, and she was on oxygen, a feeding tube, and had so many IV's in her it was hard to count anymore. I ran into the hospital, the news casters were long gone, ready to start on a new story – instead of focusing all their time on a ghost-hunters girlfriend, er, ex-girlfriend.

I ran to the elevator, pushing the button hard, too many times to count. The doors closed, and I breathed steady. She was awake, she was awake and she needed me. That was all that was going through my mind to be honest, Marilyn needed me, and that was all I cared about. I let out a sigh, closing my eyes, and trying to steady my breathing. I opened my eyes, and through the reflection on the elevator door, I saw a flash of white. Turning around, I saw nothing there. Not unusual, after years of paranormal investigating, your eyes enjoyed playing tricks on you. But, your eyes also noticed things that normal eyes wouldn't. I swallowed hard, and pushed out the thoughts of what it could have been.

The doors opened, without another incident.

I had to keep reminding myself to inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. I couldn't remember to breathe, even think. For some reason, I thought that there was something wrong. There was something terrible happening, or about to happen. I had that tick, in the bottom of my stomach, that something was about to go wrong, and I couldn't predict what it was. I walked to Marilyn's room, getting a few gushes from the nurses at the nursing station, I forbade them a quick wink, before heading on my way. I stopped at Marilyn's door as I heard talking.

“Mom, do you think he's coming?” I heard that sweet voice flutter out of the door, the same sweet voice I used to wake up to each morning, the same sweet voice that had helped me on so many investigations..

“I don't know, sweetie. That's up to him.” Marilyn's mom whispered. I let out a sigh, mentally preparing myself to walk in the door. I was preparing myself for rejection. For Marilyn to scream at me, and tell me to get out. I did a quick pep talk to myself, then walked in the room.

“Mornin'.” I smiled as I walked in the door. Marilyn's eyes averted from her iPhone to me. Her eyes brightened, and filled with tears.

“Zak.” She smiled, I walked to her slowly.

“Hi, sweetie.” I said. Before I could do anything, as soon as I hit her bedside and sat down, she pulled me into a hug, and burst out in tears.

“Oh, Zak. I'm so sorry. I'm such a bitch. Such a stupid bitch!” Marilyn cried. I couldn't help but chuckle, and wrap my around around her. Concealing her in my arms.

“You're not stupid, nor are you a bitch.” I consoled. “Stupid decisions are made in the spur of the moment. It's alright, I swear.”

“I did this over a stupid, petty argument.” Marilyn cried. “I just want to go home.”

“Where's home?” I asked, hoping for the answer that was on her lips was my house.

“Vegas.”

-

Marilyn had to stay in the hospital for a few more nights to make sure that she was alright, but we had set it on that she will not be going home, she will be staying with her mom. I was flying out to Vegas, I had a few things to wrap up out there, plus an investigation that we had set up months ago.