Day 1

✧✰✧✰✧✰✧

"Hi."

You close your notebook and look up. There's a boy-a young man, about your age-standing above you, rocking up and down on his heels.

You smile.

"Um, I was wondering," he says, looking down at his feet. "This might sound weird, but..." He sits down criss-cross in the grass next to you. "I see you here in the park, everyday, writing in that book. What are you writing?"

You stare at the guy, at his light brown eyes, at his soft brunette hair, at his lips that look like they have a million words to say.

And you shrug.

The boy frowns a little and looks down again. "I'm sorry, this is really weird. I'm sorry. I was just...wondering. Thinking."

You shake your head and lightly lift the boy's chin to look up at you. He's taken by surprise, that a complete stranger like you would touch his face, but you're used to it. You've learned to grown comfortable with your other senses.

Since you can't speak.

You shake your head again and smile, hoping to show him that it's okay. You don't think it's weird at all, just friendly. Though you'll never admit, you think he's actually cute.

"I'm Tyler," he says. "You are?"

You open your notebook, quickly write down your name on the yellowed paper, and show it to him.

"What's wrong?" The guy-Tyler-asks, laughing a little. "Can't you talk?"

Your smile falters as you shake your head.

"Lose your voice?"

You shake your head again.

"Sore throat?"

On the same page, under where you wrote your name, you write a single word.

Mute

✧✰✧✰✧✰✧