Day 19

✧♪✧♪✧♪✧

Your dad hit you again last night. More than once. Okay, a lot. Even though it's summer, you wear a long-sleeved shirt to cover the bruises.

You're only a few hundred dollars away from buying a place, if you can find a place. As soon as you do, you're getting the heck out of your house.

You lean back against the tree and write in your notebook. This time, it's a story. A fairytale about some princess and some prince and some villain. The words just pour out of your mind and on to the page.

You write the ending of your story just as Tyler walks up. It's not a happy ending.

You frown and shut your notebook. Usually you're content with your writing, but not today. Your words are seeping with depression and anger.

You hear the familiar sound of strumming.

You look up.

Tyler is standing there, holding his ukulele tightly. His expression is flat.

"You say things with your mouth, cobwebs and flies come out," Tyler sings.

You try not to cry. That line hit you like a slap in the face. 'You say things with your mouth'. Ha. How ironic.

"I hear a second voice behind your tongue somehow." Tyler looks and sounds confident. When he first played you a song, he was scared. You could tell.

"Luckily I can read your mind, flies and cobwebs unwind."

Tyler keeps his eyes locked on yours.

"They will not take you down, they will not cast you out."

Tyler stops strumming, and his singing gets faster and faster.

"Dear friend, here we are again pretending to understand how you think your world is ending." He looks down. "Sending signals and red flags in waves, it's hard to tell the difference between blood and water these days."

He starts strumming again, a different rhythm than before. You watch silently, in awe.

"I'll pray that one day you see the only difference between life and dying is one is trying, that's all we're going to do."

He looks up at you.

"So try to love me and I'll try to save you."

✧♪✧♪✧♪✧