Chapter Fifteen

I now have offically four days until Winter Break!! It's going to be glorious!!  

I DO NOT OWN THE SONG 'BREAKAWAY'. KELLY CLARKSON DOES!! :)  

Orignal Song

--------------------------------------------Chapter Fifteen---------------------------------------------  

"So, what do you think?" Rachel smiled after she finished singing her song 'Only Child'.

I bit my lip. It was a week before Regionals and the Club decided to do original songs for the competition, of course, I was thrilled about it but also a bit nervous. When Mr. Schue asked if anyone had anything written already, I didn't raise my hand. I was on the fence about singing my own composition, especially if it was for a competition as crucial as Regionals. I looked into Rachel's hopeful eyes and put on an awkward smile.

"Well...uh, it's different." I gave her a little thumbs up.

 She groaned. "It's awful."

I nodded as she slumped into the chair next to mine, defeat written all over her face. Rachel was the only one who was enthusiastic about song writing (well, openly) but she just didn't have a knack for it. The girl had powerful vocal chords, but they were for singing old fashioned Broadway tunes that were written by an artist...not about a headband or being an only child.

"We're going to lose Regionals and everyone is going to hate me." She looked down.

I clenched my songwriting notebook to my chest. Like I said, I was on the fence about singing any song of my own, but Rachel needed help and fast. The Club was expecting a song by tomorrow. 

"Well, I have a song."

Rachel quickly looked up, "You do?!"

"Yeah, but it's not that great and-"Lizzie, I wrote a song about a headband, it can't get any worse than that." 

I laughed and nodded. I opened my notebook and put my sheet music on the piano, Brad had left right after Rachel's presentation-probably wanting to escape while he still could. I began to play 'Breakaway', it felt good feeling my fingers glide over the keys as I sang my lyrics. Something about singing it in front of someone made me feel...powerful, as if nothing could bring me down. When the song finished up, I glanced over at Rachel. Her eyes were wide as a smile played upon her face.

"...I think we just found an opener for Regionals."

XXX

During glee rehearsal later that day, I had to play the song in front of the club...and Lauren Zies, why was she here? I've been so busy with my own problems, that I didn't even notice a new addition to the club. Everyone gave me supportive looks (heck, even Santana), except for Finn and Quinn. Finn shifted in his seat awkwardly, his eyes trying not to meet mine. Obviously, we haven't talked at all since the party. We didn't even exchange greetings or farewells anymore....it made me sick. Quinn was obviously not pleased with the fact that I slept over her boyfriend's house. The girl probably thought I was ambushing her, she tended to make things all about her. 

Everyone broke into applause when I finished. I smiled and stood up from the piano, giving a joking bow. I could see Finn smiling out of the corner of my eye as I took a seat. When I looked back over though, Quinn had completely taken his full attention-whispering into his ear and giving him gentle kisses. The sight made me cringe and lose my train of thought as Mr. Schue brainstormed another song for the entire club to sing. 

I looked over at an empty seat...wait...something isn't right. I tapped on Rachel's shoulder as she turned to face me.

"Where's Nick?" I asked.