Chapter VIII

Batgirl was running off a rooftop and went to grapnel again to a higher building in her pursuit to save Barbara

Batgirl was running off a rooftop and went to grapnel again to a higher building in her pursuit to save Barbara. She went to use the grapnel boost to move faster, but was cut off guard as a knife swiftly cut through the wire causing her to fall. 'That's impossible, the grapnel wire is supposed to be indestructible.'

Sara roughly landed on a rooftop and rolled to a stop, groaning she went to quickly stand up only for her arm to be pinned down by a boot. She gasped and tried to push it off of her with her free hand, but was soon met with a gun at her face.

"I wouldn't move if I were you." The familiar voice-synthesized voice spoke, revealing the Arkham Knight.

Sara narrowed her eyes and glared at him before she released her hand from around his calf and let it fell back to her side and tightened it in a fist. Knowing there was nothing she could do, this man knew everything about Batman, who knew if he knows about her as well.

"What do you want?" Batgirl asked him, seething with anger at the man for what he has already done.

"I thought it be obvious as all my militia are trying and failing miserably to catch you, my dear." The Arkham Knight told her as he put his handgun away and kneeled on his other knee and with a hand of his, caresses her face. Fed up by this act, Batgirl jerked her head to the side, stopping the Arkham Knight from touching her.

"Little defiant, are we?" The Arkham Knight chuckled at her "There's no need for that. I'm not going to hurt you." He told her, his computerized voice almost sounded sincere, but she didn't let it get to her.

"What do you want with me?" Batgirl asked him again.

"You see my dear, you are the real key, the one that I need to bring Batman to his knees. But don't worry, you're not needed yet, but-" He was cut off by a call on her gauntlet going off. "But why don't we just have a bit of fun?" The Arkham Knight said before pulling her up with a strong grip on her forearm.

"Answer it." He demanded. She then pressed the button and the video feed showed Batman.

"Batman, the Arkham Knight, he-" Sara's words were muffled as the militia commander yanked her body, making it collide with his chest, moving his hand to his waist and then gagged her with the other, now in view in her camera.

"Hello again, old man, how does it feel? To have yet another of your close allies held in my arms? I bet it makes your blood boil with anger, doesn't it?" The Arkham Knight spoke to Batman, who was glaring at him in anger as Batgirl tried to use her free hand to pull the hand off her mouth.

"If you hurt her, I swear I'll-" Batman was cut off by the Arkham Knight. "Or you'll what? Kill me? Heh, we all know your code, Dark Knight. Did you really
think pushing her off my path would make her safe from me? Well you're wrong and this is proof right now. See you soon old man." The Arkham Knight quickly ended the call and looked back at Batgirl before slowly removing his hand and backed away, giving her room.

"You are free to go." The Arkham Knight whispered to her as he began to walk away.

"If you wanted me dead then I would be right now." Sara spoke up, he slowly stopped to look at her. "But clearly I still stand. Why is that?"

The Arkham Knight quickly struts up to her, which made her tense up. He brings up his hand and went to bring it up to her face, but stopped remembering her reaction she previously did and stopped himself. His hand then was brought to a fist.

"You have some... Interest to me."

That was all he said before he gave her another grapnel gun to replace the one he broke and used his own to run off and disappeared, leaving Sara worried.

Her worry then grew as she remembered what she was supposed to be doing.

"Barbara!"