Chapter XVII

Prior before the excavator fight between the Arkham Knight and Batman

Prior before the excavator fight between the Arkham Knight and Batman. Sara had woken up and was cuffed to a chair. She had no memory of what happened after Batman left to pick up Poison Ivy, so seeing herself at the mercy of the Arkham Knight worried her.

"Good. You're awake." The Arkham Knight walked up to her making her struggle in her bonds. "Are you alright?" He gently asked.

"Well, I'm not dying." Sara bluntly said.

"No. No you're not. Tell me, why are you doing this? Working with Batman." He questioned.

"You wouldn't understand." She said lowering her head down, so he wouldn't see her face. "Try me." The Arkham Knight said.

"I do this- I do it because I chose to. So that I can be sure that no one will have to feel the pain that I have felt." Sara admitted.

"And what pain are you referring to?" He asked. "The pain... Imagine being in a world where time was everything but never on your side. The only person you ever truly loved slipped away, knowing that you would never see them again." She explained, tears falling from her eyes.

The Arkham Knight stared at her for a while and remained silent as she breathed out more words, "Jason, if I was only able to save him that night."

"You couldn't save him, even if you tried." The Arkham Knight spat, his voice dangerously low. "Then, I would've joined him in death! At least then we would no longer be separated." She cried out before hanging her head, trying to pull herself together. She felt weak crying in front of this guy.

Sara quickly composed herself and looked up at him calmly, "So you're the guy that unleashed a whole army upon this city?" That was a stupid question to say but she blurted it out.

"Obviously." The Arkham Knight scoffed.

"Don't you think that's a bit much?" Sara asked him. She was not the first person to ask that question.

"No. Do you always talk this much?" The Arkham Knight blurted out.

"Why, you're entranced by my voice?" Sara asked as she smiles cheekily. 'Why am I acting like this? To him?'

"You have no idea... Sara..." He whispered. It didn't really spook Sara about him knowing her identity because he knew everyone else. Bruce, Barbara, it would be normal that he knew her as well. What did surprise her was the softness in his voice.

The Arkham Knight looked conflicted as he held his hands in a fist before he moved to uncuff her. "I'm sorry for all the pain I've put you through, Sara. But Bruce must die. I hope you still love me the same."