Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Emme

I sat behind the register at my mom's bakery, leaning against the counter as I waited for someone to walk through the store front. So far, the whole shoppe was empty, except for an elder man who sat towards the front of the shop, reading a newspaper and nibbling on a scone. I recognized his face from my usual duties here. Every Saturday morning, around ten-thirty, he'd walk in, always ordering the same thing, a blueberry scone with a hazelnut coffee, no cream or sugar. Then, he'd sit down at one of the small tables set up around the store, and read a newspaper. He was sweet, balding white hair, and large glasses, yet I found him so adorable, like most old people are. Just when they smiled, you could see the years and years they had gone through by their tired gazes.

I had helped mom design the interior of the bakery when I was in sixth grade. The floors were a white and creme inter-changing tile, one that I was always stuck mopping and sweeping. The walls were the same light creme, followed by beautiful Ivory trimming. All the small round tables were white wood, with matching chairs with a milky-coffee fabric. The kitchen was right behind the counter, where my mom spent most of her time baking. I on the other hand worked at the register on Saturday mornings, and sometimes after school. I was behind the glass windows, filled with taunting cookies, cupcakes, and other treats. It was always so hard to stay on a diet when I was working...

The little store bells chimed softly as the clear store front door opened up, signaling a customer had just walked in. I stood up straight, lifting my head up from my ipod classic, only to feel a smile grow across my face. Walking in was no one other than Michael, his hands stuffed in his Abercrombie shorts, a tight-fitting maroon t-shirt on. He smiled back, slightly flipping his hair as he scuffled over towards me.

I slowly walked towards the register as he leaned over on the counter, his muscular arms bulging slightly. He grinned, looking up at me with his spectacular eyes.

"I forgot this was your mom's bakery," He spoke in a low, calm voice. He grinned, flashing his beautiful teeth at me.

Last night, after our amazing kiss, I had to flee the scene. Due to the fact that Claire was ready to attack me, and at the same moment, Jeff was sauntering into the room, some drunk girl clutching onto him. I lied about curfew, scurried out the door and to my car, and left Michael high and dry.

"Sorry about last night," I murmured, "I didn't want to be rude, but I had to go."

He leaned in a little bit, his warm breath tickling my cheeks."You can make it up to me now by giving me a kiss."

I blushed, backing away and looking around. No matter how much I desperately wanted to kiss him right now, I couldn't. It was almost...impossible for me, as if my brain just didn't want to go through with it, yet my heart yearned for it. The last thing I needed was my mom walking out and making this whole fling with Michael even weirder.

The old man cleared his throat, making Michael and I both turn our heads in his direction. He was now standing, pushing in his chair and grabbing his newspaper before he started to hobble towards the door.

"Have a good day, Georgie!" I called behind him sweetly, remembering all the times my mom had called him that. He turned his head around and smiled, opening the door and stepping out. 

The entire bakery was now silent, besides the hum of the mixing bowl as mom whipped up a cake batter in the kitchen out back. I watched as Michael slowly turned back to me, smirking.

"Now that we're alone..." With one swift movement, he jumped over the counter, locking me into his arms. I took in a sharp, shocked breath from the impact. The intoxicating aroma of himself, earth, shampoo, and mint, clogged my senses, making everything in the whole world seem to focus around him. He was so cool and collected, compared to me, who was shaking.