Chapter Twenty-two (My Weaknesses)

***

The first month was almost over. I was left with four days to the next month. Josh hadn't called me since then. I tried my best not to think of him. I was still trying to get rid of my feelings. I just had to. I needed to.

Life went on not quite well for me. I missed speaking to Shane, though I still spoke to Sloane. It wasn't her that I had to avoid by the way.

Keisha made me meet a few guys indeed who all asked me out on dates. I did go on dates with them but none of them caught my attention. We ended up as friends most of the time. That's when I realized that Keisha had been right. Maybe I did have a crush on Shane.

He called continuously but I didn't pick. He even texted but I didn't reply. And when he'd come to our apartment, Keisha would lie that I wasn't around. It hurt but I had no choice.
I did that continuously for a week and a half.

***
One night, Shane texted:

-You've been strange lately. Don't know why. I think it'll be preferable if we meet and you tell me what's up. You probably won't answer but I expect you at my place tomorrow night.-

I thought and finally came up the decision to meet him. He had the right to know why I was avoiding him again. I went to Keisha's room and told her about it.

"You won't be able to face him." she stated.

"I'll try."

"Sha, maybe that's getting yourself into deeper shit."

"I know. But I'll try. Trust me."

*

The next night at Nine PM, I got dressed and left the apartment for Shane's place. I was nervous and uncomfortable. I arrived his house and knocked at the door. He opened it. It'd been long since I'd seen him. He opened the door for me and a bright smile spread across his face. My heartbeat increased and I tried to breathe straight.

"Come in," he said, warmly. I did so, "You can sit."

I did that too.

"How are you? It's been long." He sat across me.

"I'm alright."

"I don't think so." he stared at me but I avoided his gaze, "You need to tell me something."

"What?"

"Why have you been avoiding me?"

I gulped. How would I tell him that I maybe had feelings for him. How? He would probably think I was some sort of dumb chick who just needed a bit of affection to fall for the first guy that passed by.

"Um..."

"Let me guess. It has to do with Sloane and I?" he looked at me.

I realized that I couldn't tell him anymore. I chickened up.

"No." I forced a smile, " I've just been too busy. That's all."

"Is that why??" he raided his brows.

"Yeah. I'm sorry I didn't find time. But now I'm here." I lied.

That's comforting." he seemed a little relieved. I'd lost. I didn't have that courage. It was the only chance and I blew it . That was it.

"Has Josh called you?" he asked.

"No, he hasn't." I looked at my fingers.

"Don't be hurt. He doesn't deserve you."

I looked at him.

How could I avoid him?

"Thanks." I smiled.

"Good. Now to make you forget your downs," he stood up and gave me his hand. I took it, "I'm gonna take you out right now for fun."

"What?" I smiled and stood up.

"You've never been to a club right?"

"Yeah."

"Then I'll take you to one this night. You'll dance out all thoughts about Josh." he smirked.

Holding my hand, he made me spin a little on the spot. I giggled.

'Thanks, Shane." I thought of Sloane, "But, I can't go."

"Don't tell me that. Say yes. Please."

I couldn't tell him no at the say time.

"Alright. But Sloane's coming along."

"She travelled a week ago."

That was some sort of sign that I didn't have to go out alone with him. But when he looked at me, I melted inside. There was no turning back for me. Keisha was right. Shane wouldn't allow me to avoid him. This was a danger zone for me.

"Um..."

"C'mon." he wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close. He had no bad intentions but was only trying to flatter in order to convince me. Yet that act was enough to brainwash me.

"Uh, why not?"

I hated my lack of strong will.

I was doomed.