Chapter Twenty-seven (A Forbidden fruit)

***

My weekend at Boston was cool. I got to hang out with my parents. Josh wasn't around because he'd travelled. I was somewhat happy about that. I didn't know how I'd face him, honestly.

Anyway, I had a good time and succeeded in getting Shane off my mind for some time. Of course I didn't tell my parents about the little problem Josh and I had. They would freak out.
~

I soon returned to manhattan and life went on. I attended all my classes and made sure to study hard. Luckily, it kept Keisha and I really busy. Another week passed by and that was when I couldn't take it anymore. In less than three months, I'd realized that I couldn't get rid of Shane because of the way we'd gotten close.

"Keisha?" I called

"Yeah?"

"I can't last longer. I'd have to speak to him. It's preferable."

"What d'you mean?"

"I might be falling deeper as you said but it's better that way than for me to ignore him forever. That's not possible. At least I tried."

"Shayenne, you'll be putting your feelings at stake."

"Maybe that's how it's supposed to be." I replied firmly, taking my bag.

"Where are you going?"

"H. Productions."

Keisha shook her head and I saw doubt in her eyes.

"Just be careful, Shayenne." she said and I saw that she was sorry. She was sorry I'd fallen for the wrong guy once again.

I attracted sympathy from all who knew me. Pity rather. Why? Why was I the only one always to suffer heartbreaks or problems. Wasn't I good enough? For any guy?

"Everyone's always sorry for me. I get it." I replied lowly. She stood up.

"Don't take it that way, Sha. I–"

"No. I'm tired of people always being sorry for me. I believe I have the right. Right?" I frowned a little.

"You do. But what are you going to do now? He's with Sloane."

"I'll just reconcile with him so we remain friends."

"But–"

"Don't worry, I'll put any feelings aside."

She looked at me.

"I'll always be there for you. Okay?"

I nodded.

**

I reached H.productions and as usual, Sarah let me up. I knocked at his door and he asked me to come in. He didn't know who it was. I took a deep breath and went into his office.

"Hi." I said once inside.

Shane had been writing something down on his desk when he looked up and noticed me. I gulped. He was so handsome. He simply stared at me then leaned back into his chair. His eyes slowly scanned me from head to toe. I felt goosebumps take over my skin. After staring at me from head to toe, I could've sworn I saw him swallow. But then he looked me in the eyes, still silent. I guessed I was the one to do the talking.

I stood there nervous at the centre of his huge office while he silently stared at me like I was some sort of prey. Maybe he was still angry with me.

"Um, Shane, you're probably angry with me and I don't really know why. Honestly, I expect you to understand what I'm going through." I waited for him to say something, but he didn't. I went on.

"Fine. I came here to say I'm sorry. I don't know what for but maybe you do. I'm confused, Shane." my eyes prickled.

"I don't know why I'm this bothered, you know. Shane, I– you, Sloane– Please let's forget everything. I don't know what's up with us but I miss our friendship." I stared at the floor, still nervously, "I take back what I said."

I was still staring at the floor when to my surprise someone's arms wrapped me up. Shane. I hadn't realized when he'd approached me. I looked at him. He didn't speak but hugged me tight. I hugged him back. I missed all these things. I'd missed him. His perfume. His being. I couldn't lie, I'd fallen deep for Shane. It was a new feeling that frustrated but pleased me. I'd fallen so fast. So, so fast. In less than three months.

"It's alright." he whispered and kissed my forehead. I melted inside.

"You understand me, right?' I muttered.

"Of course I do, baby. I missed you."

That warmed my heart and awakened a feeling in me that was so sweet.

He carefully held my face in his hands and then smiled at me.

"Smile for me." he said.

I managed a shy smile and he hugged me again.

"That's better."

'I love you.'

Those were the words I had to and wanted to say at that moment. But they were forbidden words.

**

After the little reconciliation session, Shane took me out for a snack. We chatted and laughed. Everything was back to normal again. I was so happy.

"How was your weekend in Boston?" he asked.

"Good." I smiled, taking a spoon full of ice cream.

"You met Josh?"

"That's what made it good. I didn't meet him."

He smirked and I smiled back. We sat across each other in one of the best ice cream shops. I was having a good time. We looked at each other and then his gaze dropped to my lips. He smiled.

"What?" I asked.

"You have a bit of ice cream on your bottom lip."

"Oh,um thanks." I licked it off my lip. Shane stared at me the whole time.

"Any problem?" I asked nervously. He gave me that mischievous smile of his.

"Not really. I would've preferred to lick that bit of ice cream off your bottom lip myself," he looked me in eyes, "And I would've have if you could permit me. Maybe I should ask next time."

I froze and felt a sweet feeling down my spine and between my legs that made me feel slightly wet.

'I would love that?'

"Um..."

I was speechless and that made him smile. I ended up giggling like a nervous little girl.

If Shane was the forbidden fruit, then I was Eve.

*Please vote.*