Love Potion is the Way to Go

"I got a D?" I screamed, looking at my first written essay of the school year. Sure enough, there was a big fat red D on the top of the paper, right across the title: My Boring Life.

It was a week and a half later, and my dad hadn't noticed anything so far about his behavior about going to Oz after my birthday. I suppose the spell had worked, yet he hadn't said a word about it since.

I was walking down the hall of Fairy Tale High with Crimson, Feather, and Hona by my side. Hona took my paper and started to study it.

"I'm sure it deserved at least a C-, Meep." Crimson said.

"How bad could it be? I mean, we're bad to the bone, but we don't want failing grades or we have to do the whole grade over again." Feather assured me, but it didn't feel much like a compliment. Hona finished reading it and gave it back.

"Well, it's kinda short, and it's a little boring." Hona said.

"Gee, thanks, that makes me feel so much better." I punched her in the arm.

"What do you expect, Meep? It's called "My Boring Life." It's not exactly a page-turner.

"What else was I supposed to write about? My dad hardly lets me do anything." I said, shoving the paper in my carrier's bag around my shoulder. While my hand was inside, I made sure that my mom's spell book was still safely in the secret compartment of my bag where I had put it that morning.

"What about the time that....." Crimson started, then cut herself off.

"Don't forget the time he........" Feather did the same. It was true, my father never let me do pretty much anything.

"Well, I'm not settling for this." I said, taking a sharp turn into the girls's bathroom and making sure no one was in it. The crew followed me in and I shut the door and locked it when I knew no one was in the room. "We're gonna get some payback."

"How?" Feather asked.

"With this." I said. I reached into my bag and pulled out the spell book.

"Is it your mom's?" Hona whispered. I nodded with a grim smile plastered across my face.

"If you get caught, you'll never be able to use your magic at school again!" Feather said.

"How are you going to do it?" Crimson asked, all of us ignoring Feather's warning. I smiled harder and opened the book. It's pages were so much more colorful in the light, shimmering like they were translucent fairy wings. Pink and green and yellow splatters of glitter were all over it, and that's how I knew it was my mother's the first time I saw the book.

"Let's see, L, L, We're looking for the letter L." I said, fingering through the contents. Yes, my mother made an alphabetical table of contents for her spell book. "Ah! Here it is, page 52."

I flipped to page 52, showing my friends the title of the spell.

"LOVE POTION?!" All three of them screamed. I put my fingers to my thumb and shot them a look, my magic shutting their mouths automatically.

"Shh! They can hear you outside the bathroom!" I whispered. All three of them nodded and I let them go. "He'll be so in love with me, he'll have to raise my grade! We'll make it here and give it to Mr. Hansel tomorrow right before lunch. Got it?" I said. They all nodded and smiled, following me out of the bathroom to our next and final class for the day.

I replaced the book in my bag and zipped it shut, heading to the gym for PE.

-------------------

The next day, right before lunch, I met Feather and Hona in the bathroom. When I walked in, Crimson was no where in sight.

"Where's Little Red Late Hood?" I laughed.