Alone Time Doesn't Last Long

For the first time in a week, I was finally alone in my own house. Hona, Feather and Crimson had been coming home with me and leaving just after sundown, so it felt a little eerie now that I had the house to myself ever since my dad left.

Speaking of which, my phone buzzed in my pocket when I came into the front door. It was a text message from my dad.

How's it going over there? He asked.

Fine.

Ooh. Sounds like it isn't.

It's terrific, Dad. I texted back and put it in my pocket. The second that I did, I knew the curse had taken me fully now. I brought it back out and typed something in. Sorry, I'm tired.

No need to apologize, I have those days too. 

I know.

You know what? That I have those days?

I know what you did to me. I texted. If he wanted to engage, he would text back, and he did.

So, you found my little present?

More like a re-gift.

Aw, I wish I was there to see you, you were so cute when you were little, when you actually wanted to be good. He sent.

That set me off and I dialed his number and called him. When he picked up, I exploded.

"Look, Dad, I'm not really in the mood for a lecture." I said.

"And yet you called me." He responded.

"Dad!"

"Meep, can't you remember when you were little and you followed Mom around, wanting to be just like her? Just like us?"

"Dad, that was four years ago, how can you expect me to look back at something like that?" I asked, sitting on the couch with the phone pressed to my ear.

"Because.....it's time." He said.

"Time for what? For me to choose my destiny? For me to choose good or choose evil? If you would get these horrible things out of my head maybe I could!"

"I'm not talking about choosing anything." He said, and I was shocked at his calm reaction. "It's time for you to face your past."

"But you were the one that protected the curse, and you were the one that told me to choose good or choose evil in the dream that it sent me in!" I yelled. I was still amazed as he remained calm while my cheeks flushed bright pink in anger.

"Meep. I was the one to get you started on this path because it's time for you to face your past, our past, so that you can choose for the future." 

"But how am I supposed to focus on my past when I already am in the present?" I ask. We're starting to sound like a time-travel movie.

"Remember your dreams in the protection of the spell?" My dad asked.

"Well, yeah, but-" I thought about this. "No. No, I'm not doing that again!"

"Meep-" My father said through the phone.

"No! I went into shock last time! Are you saying that I have to do that again?" I asked.

"Meep, I want you to. It will show you a better vision. I can control the path that your dreams take. It won't hurt."

"I know it won't hurt, but I'm not doing it!" I yell. "I can't manipulate myself to do it and I would have to give my power to Hona to, and it's sickening!"