The Aftermath

My eyes flung open and I jumped up, but something was holding my shoulders down. I jerked around in fear, not knowing my surroundings and looking back in fourth frantically. I tried to move and get up, but my body was pinned down in four different areas. One for both of my legs, one for each of my arms, and one for my shoulders.

My heart pounding, I remembered what happened with Scorch and the falling, and the blacking out. I started to scream. My entire body was shaking. Something covered my mouth.

"Shh! SHH!" I heard someone say. It was at that moment when I knew where I was, and I stopped screaming.

I was in a hospital bed.

Hona, Feather, and Crimson I could all see next to me. They were holding down my limbs so I couldn't move. My mouth was still covered, but my eyes never stopped moving between the three of them.

I heard a frantic beep next to me and saw my heart rate monitor. It was almost off the charts it was so fast.

The thing on my mouth was removed and I saw that it was a hand. I tried to speak, but Hona stopped me.

"Don't. Don't talk." Hona said. She brushed her hand across my cheek. "You'll hurt your vocal cords."

Feather and Crimson let go of my limbs and I grabbed my neck. But I didn't grab my neck at all. A thick, medical neck brace was wrapped around my throat and concealed it to the outside world. My breath began to quicken and it made wheezing noises. But, what surprised me the most was that my right hand didn't hurt when I touched something. 

I pulled my hand in front of my face, and I had to squint to get my hazy eyes to focus on my palm. It was it's natural pink skin-colored, not that black, burnt, unnatural color.

"They reconstructed your entire hand. And they gave you five stitches on your head and seventeen stitches on your side." Feather explained. I put my fingertips to my forehead to feel twingy-prickly pain across the cut that Scorch gave me. I didn't even want to feel my side.

I groaned as I tried to sit up.

The door to my private room burst open and there were yells between two people.

"I don't care that there can only be a certain number of visitors! I'm her father!" I heard a man yell. I opened my eyes wide and saw my dad scramble in with a nurse close behind him.

"Sir, you can't be in here unless someone else leaves!" The woman yelled.

"We can go." Hona said, collecting Feather and Crimson behind her. "I'll text you later, okay Meep?"

I nodded as the nurse gave my father a nasty stare and followed them out of the door.

My dad came to the side of my bed and took my left hand in his. "Hey." He said.

Since I couldn't talk, I just stared at him, waiting for him to go on.

"Um, you've been asleep for a few days." He said. So that's why he's back. I had slept through his arrival. His face suddenly turned pale and tears streamed down his cheek. He put his face to my hand in his palms and sniffed. "Meep, I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry."

I looked at him, confused. "If I hadn't sent that spell on you, none of this would have happened."

I picked up my right artificial hand and stroked it around, signaling that I wanted to write something down. My dad stood up and walked over to the table in the corner of the room, grabbing a pad of complimentary paper and a pen. He gave them to me and I wrote something down on it.

It would have happened eventually. I would have to eventually open my eyes to the world that is displayed for me.

"Meep, don't you realize why you're here, why you're not home?" My dad asked.

I'm here because of my own actions.

"I was just trying to make you see what could be possible for you in life. Ever since your mom died-"

Ever since Mom died, I had wanted to connect with you. But I couldn't face the good, without being brainwashed by the bad.

"Meep, is this what everything is about?"

Right now, this is about how I am going to live. Should I be bad, or should I be good?

"Well, good would be very nice for a change." My dad laughed through his tears. I smiled and he put my hand back onto his face. "I just couldn't bare to loose my only daughter too."

You didn't loose me. I got lost, all by myself. But with your help, I am found. I am your daughter, today and of all days.

"Meep, you have no idea how long I have been waiting to hear you say that." My dad said.

You have no idea how long I have waited to say it.

"You're going to be okay, I promise you." 

You don't have to promise me anything. I already know.

My dad laughed. "By the way, I know about your boyfriend. Good choice. I like him."

Is he here?

"Yes. I could go get him if you want."

Please.

My dad left the room and a few minutes later, Jace walked in with flowers and a teddy bear in his hands. It was all I could do to not laugh. He smiled and set them down on the table. "Glad you like them."

I do, actually.

There was a moment of silence, before I started to write something else down.

What happened? Like, after I blacked out.

"Well, Hona rewired your pet dragon, and then we found you underneath her tail. It was choking your neck, so it took all three of us to pull the tail off of your throat. That's why you have this." Jace said, flicking the side of the neck brace. "Then after that, Hona, Feather and Crimson and I took you back to your house to try and wake you up, but whatever method they were using didn't work.

"That's when I called the hospital and they sent ambulances. I called your dad too." Jace laughed. "I swear, your hand was so burnt, it looked like you had a glove on."

Please tell me that I was just knocked out. I wrote.

"Actually, your neck was a little sprained, so you were breathing harshly and your hands were clawing around for air. Hona and I had to hold you down so you didn't fall off the table. When the ambulance came, they loaded you in and Hona stayed with you as you rode to the hospital. I took Crimson and Feather with me there to meet you and Hona."

Someone shoot me. Did I look really bad?

"You were pretty beat up. The doctor said that you were lucky to survive. You lost a lot of blood, and hitting your head didn't help very much." Jace said.

Hona really stayed with me?

"Yeah. She loves you more than you know. If I didn't know any better, you guys could be sisters." Jace laughed. A tear rolled down my eye.

Excuse me, I have to talk to her.