The Wrong Spell

Jace and I came to my house in our own vehicles for two reasons, for one, I needed to think by myself for at least a few minutes. For two, I only had one helmet with me.

When I was done thinking and got home, Jace was leaning against his car waiting for me. I smiled and got off my bike. I let both of us into the house and set my helmet outside the door.

We both put our stuff on the dinning table and sat up at the bar of the kitchen. Jace sat on a stool as I sat on the actual bar in front of him, my legs hanging off the side.

"How was your day?" I asked Jace.

"Well, it wasn't much better than yours." Jace said. "You would think that your friends would only target one person at a time."

"Oh no, not you too!" I cried. Jace nodded. I put my face in my hands. "Ugh, I'm so sorry."

"No, it's not your fault, it's fine. Plus, if I can say so, they didn't do very well. Literally all they did was throw a few bad insults then Feather kissed me." Jace laughed. "Trust me, they couldn't get through me if they tried."

I hopped off the bar and went around to the kitchen. "I'm still very sorry. It's my fault anyway." I got into the fridge and talked to Jace across my shoulder. "Do you want anything?"

"I'll take a water please." Jace replied. I grabbed two bottles of water and an apple for myself. When I stood back up, I closed the door to the fridge and took a glance outside.

I did a double take.

"Oh, heck no." I said. I slammed the waters and the apple on the counter.

"What?" Jace asked.

"Come on." I said, heading for the front door. I grabbed my jacket and my carrier's bag just in case I needed it and slung both around my shoulders, stomping down the front steps. Jace just closed the front door behind him right as I hit the bottom step. 

Hona, Feather and Crimson were in front of my garage with cans of spray paint in their hands, bags full of other pranking stuff like toilet paper and eggs. They were already painting the garage.

"You guys are really low!" I screamed, throwing my jacket in Hona's face. 

"Us? You should see you!" Hona yelled, yanking the jacket off of her face and throwing it in the dirt. "Don't you think you've been a little pathetic lately?"

"It's not my fault! You know that!" I screamed.

"It is your fault that you pushed us away!" Feather yelled.

"Couldn't you see that we were trying to help you?" Crimson said, putting her hand on her hip.

"NO! You embarrassed me in front of everyone!" I screamed.

Crimson pursed her lips and turned to the garage, pushing down the nozzle of the spray paint. I screamed and started to charge, but something grabbed me around the waist. I felt Jace's body against mine, picking me up off of the floor and pulling me back, but I screamed and kicked, trying to get away from him so I could attack my friends. Ex-friends.

"Let me go!" I shouted, clawing at his hands.

"Yeah, Jace let her go! She's a big girl!" Crimson mocked, still spray painting.

"It's too bad that you need your boyfriend to keep you straight in the head!" Hona laughed.

I finally got free from Jace, but I didn't attack. The moment was over.

"Jace, why don't you go home? It's bad enough that I have to deal with them." I said calmly, even though my anger actually let fumes of red smoke come from my hands. I've only ever got this angry one other time, and that's when Wesley attacked my mother.

"Okay. See you tomorrow." Jace said. I heard him get into his car and drive away. And that's when I exploded.

My hair rose from my shoulders with the smoke illuminating my body.

"I thought you were my friends! Maybe you should see what it feels like to be me!" I screamed. 

My body came off of the ground, my feet dangling beneath me. I lurched my body forward and sent three streams of smoke, one for each of them. But to my surprise, Hona yelled out.

"Duck!" She screamed, and her, Feather, and Crimson all crouched down, letting the streams flow right past them. It turned the corner and I heard a crash. That's when I realized what I was doing and dropped everything, landing on the ground.

Hona, Feather and Crimson all looked at me with disbelief. I couldn't believe it either. It didn't last long before the curse took over my words.

"Omg, are you guys okay?" I asked. I mentally spat at myself for being so nice.

"Uh, are you?" Hona asked, standing up. "I have never seen you get that mad."

"Be thankful that it's over, I guess. I hate getting that mad." I replied.

"Sorry for interrupting, but what did you do?" Crimson said. I looked at my hands.

"I don't know." I told her.

There was another crash behind the garage, then suddenly I heard a strained roar. It sounded like it came from a big animal.

"But I have a feeling that we're going to find out." Feather said, backing away from the garage.

That's when we saw the fire in the middle of the house, and a scaly tail whap against the wall.