Comfy Place for a Nap

When we finally got back to my house, Hona, Feather, and Crimson followed me as I went through the front door. I closed the door right as Hona put a hand on my shoulder.

"Where's the spell book?" She asked. I pointed upstairs.

"It's in my room underneath my bed, I'll go get it." I said, but Hona stopped me.

"Just stay down here." Hona said, then turned to Crimson and Feather. "Clear off the kitchen table and get a pillow from the living room."

"Wait, a pillow? Why?" I asked, but Hona ignored my question. Feather cleared the table as Crimson went into the living room. 

When Hona got back, she thrust the book into my arms.

"I need you to lend me your magic." She said.

"I have many questions." I said.

"Cool. Save them for later." She replied. She tapped the book with her finger and I huffed.

Flipping through the book, I found the spell.

"All my power is to go, a wizard's essence, spirit and soul; let it be forever free, until it is passed back to me." I read. All of a sudden my entire body felt weak and I fell to my knees.

"Meep, are you alright?" Hona asked,  and bent down to help me up. The second she touched me, my arm burnt and it felt like everything in my body was drained into her hand. She must have felt it too, for she stumbled back and let go of my arm.

I could hardly stand. My body felt different, like Hona and I had switched heads or something. (Just to be clear, we didn't switch heads.)

Feather and Crimson bent down and helped me up, but their touch was nothing like Hona's. When I was standing again, I looked over at Hona.

She brought her hands up to her face and twirled her fingers. Red smoke plumed from the tips of her nails.

"Oh I could get used to this." She laughed.

"Okay, I'm sorry to break up the excitement, but what are you going to do with my magic?" I asked, sitting on a chair.

"Feather, Crimson, help her onto the table and lay her down on the pillow." Hona said, putting her new-found magic away.

It was like we were Hona's dogs. She gave the commands and we never disagreed. Laying me on the cleared table with the pillow underneath my head, Hona pulled up a chair next to my pillow.

"Okay, Meep. I just want you to relax, and take a deep breath. This shouldn't hurt you." She said, putting a hand about an inch away from both sides of my head.

"Shouldn't?" I asked, but Hona started anyway.

Red smoke ran in and out of my temples and the entire room was silent. I heard a page being flipped and saw Crimson turn the book's page out of the corner of my eye. After a few moments of silence, Hona spoke again.

"Meep? I want you to close your eyes, but don't you dare fall asleep."

"Okay, but why can't I fall asleep?" I asked.

"The spell is supposed to try and make you fall unconscious, but the point is to keep you focused and alert. I want you to fight it for as long as you can, or you can fall into a coma. It's going to bring you to the brink of sleep and awake, and that's where we can see and hear what happened last night."

"But if I do, you can get me out of it, correct?" I asked, closing my eyes.

"Uh, sure." Hona said.

"Hona!"

"Just try to stay awake!" She said. I huffed and shifted on the table. Feather and Crimson were silent, and the room was dark.