Nice to See You

I chose to have Hona come over. I hadn't spent a lot of time with her all summer since her parents wanted to show her how to hunt, so I chose her because I thought that it would make it even with Crimson and Feather.

I heard the doorbell ring and I shut the TV off, jumping over the couch to get the door.

"It's Hona! I got it!" I yelled so my dad didn't have to. I opened the front door to see Hona standing there with a bag, pillow, and a sleeping bag. She was smiling, and I knew why.

"Happy birthday, Meep." She giggled. I smiled, putting my finger to my lips to quiet her. I ushered her in and drove her straight upstairs to my room. She dumped the stuff on the bed and got into it. "I know we're not gonna do normal sleepover stuff." Hona said.

She unzipped the bag and dumped everything on to the covers, same with the pillow case and the sleeping bag. Silly string, duct tape, small fireworks, water balloons, toilet paper, and eggs were scattered over my bed. Markers and glue fell to the floor, along with a box.

"Oh, and this is yours." Hona said, picking it up and giving me the box. I eagerly ripped the box open and gazed inside. My smile faded.

"Really?" I asked, picking up the heart-shaped picture frame with a picture of Mr. Hansel in it. Hona burst into a fit of giggles.

"What? I took the pic during class yesterday and thought you might like it." She laughed. I slugged her in the arm hard and got into the prank supplies.

"So, what should we do first?" I asked. I picked up a water balloon.

"Meep! Dinner!" My dad called from downstairs. I groaned and threw the balloon on my bed. Hona started to go, when I grabbed her arm and pulled her close.

"I put a spell on my dad a week ago, just watch what he does!" I whispered. Hona covered her mouth like she was going to explode, and nodded, heading down the steps at the end of the hallway.

When we got downstairs, Hona and I sat down at the bar, gazing over the triple cheese pizza my dad had ordered.

"Well, I'm glad to see you, Hona, how are you?" My dad asked her, obviously trying to create small talk.

"She's fine, let's eat!" I said, reaching over and pulling a slice from the cheese pie. Hona did the same, and we both took a huge bite. My dad didn't look too impressed with my reaction to his question. When I swallowed, I looked over at Hona and nudged her. "So, Dad, are you ready to go to Oz tomorrow?" I asked. 

My dad froze.

"What did you do?" Hona asked, laughing through a mouthful of pizza.

"Whenever someone says the O-word, he has to do whatever they say. Watch." I said, turning back to my dad. "I am un-grounded."

"Meep, you know, I've been thinking about it, and I think that you're a teenager. You need to have some mess-ups in your life." My dad said, leaning over the counter.

"So, are you saying that I'm un-grounded?" I asked, biting my lip so I didn't laugh.

"Yes." He said.

"Hey, Mr. Oz?" Hona said, and my dad froze again.

"Dude, what are you going to do?" I laughed.

"Watch." Hona replied. "Get me a glass of water and pour it on yourself, like it was an accident."

"Hona, you look thirsty, can I get you anything?" My dad asked her.

"Yeah, can I have a glass of water?" She replied. My dad nodded and went over to the cupboard. I covered my mouth with both of my hands so I didn't burst. I put my hands down and held my breath as my dad got the glass of water and filled it with water, and when he walked over to Hona with it, his wrist suddenly moved toward him, like he couldn't control it. It went all over his shirt and tie, and sloshed down into his shoes.

"Oh, dang it!" He said. He put the glass on the counter and walked to the stairs. "Sorry, girls, I'll be one minute."

The second he was out of sight, I looked at Hona and we exploded. I gave Hona a high-five and we doubled over laughing.

This was going to be a fun night.

----------------------

When my dad went to bed and assumed that we had too, I reached over to Hona and touched her elbow, shaking her to see if she was awake.

"We should have Crimson and Feather come over." I said. Hona smiled and nodded.

I sat up and turned on the light on my nightstand, grabbing my phone. In a group text, I contacted Feather and Crimson.

Come to my house in fifteen minutes....no questions.

"Okay, let's go!" I whispered to Hona, and we wiggled out of our sleeping bags. On our way out, I reached into my dresser and grabbed my spell book. 

Creeping into my father's room ever so carefully, I had Hona shut the door quietly and stood there if we needed a quick escape. I was pretty sure we wouldn't need it.

Okay, just say: you will think that Crimson and Feather have been here the whole time. I thought. 

I put my hand in front of my father's face and swirled my magic in front of it.

"You will think that-" I started.

Suddenly, something grabbed my wrist and I looked up from my book. 

My father's white knuckles clasped around my hand, his green eyes raging with anger.

"I will think what?" He asked. I jumped at his voice and fell from my squatting position. Hona rattled the door handle, but my father stood up and thrust his magic to the door closing it in Hona's face. He never let go of my wrist. "What were you trying to pull?" My father said. I was so scared, all I could do was tremble.

"Mr. Oz-" Hona said, but my father didn't freeze. He looked over at Hona.

"I think you better go home, Hona." He said. Hona nodded and scrambled out of the room. I heard her footsteps running to my room and getting her things. My dad looked to me. "Hypnotism? So you've gone that low, have you?"

"Dad, it was nothing, Hona and I-" I started.

"This isn't about Hona. It's about you." My father said sternly. I heard Hona going down the hallway and down the stairs, slamming the front door behind her.

My dad dragged me down the steps from his bed and went to my room, my wrist in his palm. 

"Dad, please!" I yelled. I was so genuinely scared, tears came down my eyes. I didn't know what he was going to do. Thrusting me onto my bed, he flicked his wrist and my body tensed up.

"I've had it with your attitude, Meep. If you aren't going to choose to change it, I will." My dad said.

"What are you going to do?" I asked, tears streaming down my face. I didn't let a single sob come out of my mouth. I wasn't going to give my dad the satisfaction of scaring me. (Though, he was. Badly.)

"Change your attitude." He replied. He brought his hands up and balled green smoke into his hands. I closed my eyes.

Suddenly, the magic hit me in the chest, and I screamed. I caved in around it, my arms trying to block it. It felt like someone was stabbing me through the heart. I could feel my eyes bugging out behind my closed eyelids. But it felt like something was changing in them. My whole body throbbed, but my head hurt the worst. It wouldn't stop, the magic.

My body became limp, and I found myself drifting in and out of consciousness.

"Dad! Stop! It hurts!" I yelled. He didn't stop. Just as I was about to pass out for real, I heard him say something.

"Have a nice day!" He yelled.

What was he talking about? It was 11:05 PM. It didn't make any sense.

I couldn't think about it really any longer before I passed out.

Little did I know, it would change my life forever.