Good Neighbors

We landed around 4 a.m. I stood up to look if I could see Roe. She was already off the plane. I inwardly groaned at her. I got in line and waited to get off the plane and catch up with Roe. I finally stepped off the plane.

I craned my neck trying to find Roe. I found her in line for Starbucks. I rolled my eyes and picked up my pace to reach her.

Of course she only got herself something. "Go get yourself something with your own money." She said to me. I felt my pockets for money but couldn't find any. I guess I wont have any breakfast. Roe sat down at a table. I rolled my bags over to her and sat them down.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I muttered.

"Why would I care?" She replied harshly. I nodded and turned to find the bathroom.

I finally found it and went into one of the stalls. I did my business and washed my hands. I left the stall and I looked at myself in the mirror.

I really needed to eat something. I looked around to see if anyone was in the bathroom. Once I saw that it was clear I cupped my hands under the faucet and got some water. I drank the refreshing liquid slowly.

I drank a few more handfuls of water. I dried my hands and exited the bathroom. I walked back over to Roe.

She was playing on her phone. She didn't notice me as I sat down across from her. "Roe." I called her name softly, not wanting to scare her. I had scared her before and was punished badly. Not an experience I want to go through again.

"What?" she growled not looking up from her phone.

"I was wondering when we going to leave and go to the apartment?" I asked. She didn't answer so I left it alone. I tried to find something else to occupy my time.

I looked at everyone that passed by our table. We waited for about 15 more minutes and Roe abruptly stood from the table.

She didn't say anything and started to walk away. I stood and followed her to wherever she was going. We wondered around aimlessly until I saw where we were going. We headed to the exit. Outside the airport there was a car waiting for us.

Out of the car stepped a tall man I didn't recognize. He awkwardly waved to Roe and started to put her things in the back of his small car.

After he finished with Roe's bags he went to put mine into the car but Roe stopped him. "Let her do it. She doesn't do anything useful anywhere else."

 She got into the car and waited for the nameless man to get in. He shook his head and went to take my bags. I rolled them out of his reach and shook my head at him.

" I'll do it, but thank you-," I waited for him to say his name.

" Rick." He answered. I held my hand out for Rick to shake.

"Paige." I said as he shook my hand.

After I got my bags in the car I buckled up waiting for Rick to drive. Rick was probably in his early thirties. He had short dark brown hair and slight stubble on his cheeks.

I liked Rick. He is the only one that has been nice to me in such a long time. Even if it was for only a few seconds.

He pulled out of the airport and got onto a highway. I looked outside my window and listened to what Roe and Rick talked about. "What is this city called again?" Roe asked as if she didn't care.

"Pomona." Rick answered with just as much enthusiasm.

"Are you excited to move here?" Rick asked looking at me in the rear view mirror. I nodded and looked back out the window. Seconds passed and the car was filled with an awkward silence. I needed to break it.