Overheard Conversations

After lunch Theo drove us back to my apartment. He parked the motorcycle in the parking lot. I gave him his helmet and we started to walk towards the apartment complex. Before we entered the building I stopped him.

"Wait, I want to show you something." I started to pull him the direction of the wooded area behind the complex. I released my hold on his arm and started to walk into the woods. I heard the leaves crunch under my feet. Only under my feet.

I rotated and saw Theo wasn't walking behind me. I gave him a questioning look. "Are you coming?" I asked confused. Theo shrugged slightly and stepped into the woods. "Where are you taking me? Are you going to kill me?" He asked jokingly.

"I found this place my first day to school.  The first day I talked to you actually." I muttered as I led him through the tall trees and brush. We walk in silence until I see the fallen tree that is laying across the stream.

I walk across the tree and jump down on the other side. I turn and see Theo jumping off behind me. "I remember falling asleep here." I point to the spot where I fell asleep last time. "I fell asleep out here and I got lost.That's why I was in the gas station that night. Remember you said you would give me a ride and then you pulled an asshole move and left me." I said bitterly remembering  what he did.

"Yeah, sorry. But I did buy you lunch so we are even." He stated. I rolled my eyes and pointed in the direction I went before. We started walking that was. Honestly, I didn't really know where we were going. It was so dark that night, I was only guessing.

As we continued, I saw the clearing. I picked up my pace and peered around the brush and saw the drop off. I pushed the dead tree limbs and leaves out of the way and walked out onto the clearing.

I looked out over the small city and stared at the beauty. I could see the Ferris wheel in the carnival that Pomona had. I could see our school and all the little shops on the strip. It was even pretty in the day time.

Theo was looking out at the tiny town with wonder. It's really peaceful. He said never taking is eyes off the view. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I sat down and propped myself up on my hands.

Theo sat beside me. He was about to say something when he got a phone call. He groaned and answered. "Hello?" Theo answered slightly annoyed. "No, Dallas....I said cover for us......I don't care....say we are sick or something, you're smart now use that brain of yours. "Theo quickly hung up.

"Dallas?" I said question. "Yep." Theo said popping the p. We didn't look at each other, just the city out in front of us.

"What did he want?" I asked turned to look at Theo. He shrugged and sighed. He laid down and looked up at the clear blue sky. "He didn't know where we were. Don't worry he's covering for us." Theo reassured.

I laid down with him and looked up at the sky with him. I watched as the clouds passed. I thought about what I told Theo last night. He was the first person I've told. No one else here knows about Roe or my parents. Not even Hailey, who is my best friend.

For some reason I trust Theo with my secret. I barely know him and I trust him. I remember him telling me he didn't want to turn out like his father. He said people thought he would turn out just like his dad.

"I don't want to push you to tell me anything, but after I told you about me last night you said people thought you would turn out just like your father. What did you mean by that?" I kept looking at the clouds, praying I didn't make him mad. "You don't have to tell me anyth-," He cut me off.

"My father is in prison." Theo stopped and sighed. I didn't want to pry, but I'm too nosy not to. "Why?" I asked softly. Theo let out a humorless chuckle.