Returning Faces

"It's basic French. Repeat after me. Bonjour, mon nom est Theo." I coaxed Theo. We were working on our French homework. I don't know how he was having such a hard time. This was so easy.

"Okay, I'm done. I'll just Google it later." He huffed out. I rolled my eyes and got out of my bed. I walked to the kitchen and got an apple. I heard Theo's foot steps behind me. "You know, French isn't that hard to learn."

"You say that because you speak French." He stated. I turned to face him. I didn't realize how close we were. We stared at each other for what felt like hours. I looked down at the floor and ducked around him.

I made my way to the living room and got the remote. I turned on the TV. I saw Theo walk toward the bathroom. I flipped through the channels while I heard the shower turn on. I laid down and started to watch the movie that I turned on.

While I watched the TV I worked on my homework. Right when I finished my last question on my chem homework, I heard the shower shut off. My eyes snapped up to the door. Part of me wanted to see Theo come out of there in a towel, and another part wanted him to stay in there.

God, what was wrong with me. He is just my friend, who is living in my house, and hanging out with me all the time, and is taking a shower right now in the next room. I need to stop. I needed to get some air.

I stood and walked over to the bathroom door. When I was about to knock. Theo opened the door. We both jumped back from the surprise. I fell back but he caught my hand before I hit the ground.

He pulled me up and put his hands on my waist to steady me. I looked down and felt the heat rise to my cheeks. I met his eyes and my cheeks grew more hot. When I couldn't take the staring anymore I looked down and saw that he was only in his towel.

I backed out of his grip. "I'm j-just going o-out for a walk." I cleared my throat and nodded to him as I walked backwards to get to the door. I slipped on my shoes and put on my jacket. I walked out the door leaving Theo standing in the bathroom doorway in his towel.

I took the steps down. When I walked out the door, I felt the cold rain on my hot skin. I was still blushing from my encounter with Theo. I couldn't possibly like Theo.

He's a complete jack ass. But he is nice to you.

Shut up, brain. I don't like Theo. I  cant like Theo. No one likes Theo. Even though he is super hot, no one wants to be around Theo. He's not nice to anyone but his friends.

I kept making a list of reasons why I couldn't like Theo. For every reason, my brain kept telling me that it didn't matter. God, my brain is dumb.

While I made a list of problems, I found myself walking to my spot in the woods. I looked out over the city. The sun was setting now and it looked absolutely beautiful. The sun was casting shadows of the trees.

I sat down where Theo had been just hours ago. Why do I feel like this. I hate feeling like this. I hate this feeling. I hate feelings in general. This is why I shut people out at other schools. I just focused on my school work.

Why am I now starting to get friends. It's because Roe isn't here to tell me not too. I told myself. Roe being gone is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm getting to eat properly now. I'm not getting beat. I'm having fun now. I'm actually smiling a real smile.

Maybe its not Roe being gone. It might just be Theo. My brain told me. I sighed, knowing she was right. Theo does make me happy. Not only does Theo make me happy, but Hailey, Sydney, Racheal, Cole. They all make me happy. But mostly Theo.

You do like Theo. My brain said.

"I know." I sighed to myself. I stood and looked out at the town again. This town is much better than my town back in Wyoming and I think it's the people I hang out with now.