Chapter Seventeen

As time passed on, we were heading into April. Things began to get better with my mom. So good in fact, they said she could actually be released soon. She made a big enough progress to the point she wasn't dying any more. I was going to have my mom back. I was getting help with my grades. Kyla and Jaymon broke up once and got back together. Mal and Aaron were great. Hell, Leo started dating some Indian girl. That leaves Ramón, É'stephanie and I. Well, they'd been getting pretty close. Too close, I'd been fighting my own demons inside my head called depression. But, all hell broke loose eventually. And I couldn't blame anyone, but myself.

"Nigga you what?!"

"I kissed her Royce. Damn, I wanted to be the one to tell you c–"

"You ain't wan' nobody else to tell me! I fuckin' know nigga!" My West Indian accent came out.

"Calm the fuck down mami, it's not that-"

"It is that serious! É'stephanie is an innocent girl! Why would you-you're dead tryna hurt me aren't you? Ain't you fuckin' wit' yo ex?"

"That shit been dead. Lo siento mami. She so much like you. I got caught up in the moment." He held my face. "Look, I ain't mean to. I swear that shit won't happen again. On my papa man. I love you." He sighed.

"I'm startin'na think you'on even mean that Ramón. I gotta get to class." I sighed exiting the hallway, joining my peers on the way to class.

It'd been three months and some change since Ramón told me of his feelings. Now saying he loves me and shit. But, is this what love feels like? Because if so I definitely didn't want to love him back. Which I'm glad that I don't. I just remember not being able to believe these games he was playing. The whole school day carried on, and even on the way to the park to kick it with the crew, this nigga was all over her. Now, it didn't bother me they were enjoying eachothers company. It bothered me that he was taking advantage of her naivety. I wasn't with that. She didn't really understand what Ramón was doing but I did. I wasn't gonna let her fall into that mess. Well, at least I tried not to. I mean she didn't know that Ramón and I have a thing even though it ain't really a thing. É'stephanie wasn't to blame here. It was Ramón's dumbass.

"Yo, you know we graduate soon b." Jaymon dapped Ramón.

"I know my nigga, it's 'boudda be lit this summer. We still throwin' that block party right?"

"Of course nigga, ain't no way we not throwin' that shit. Do we look like dubs?" Jaymon cackled putting Kyla on the swings.

"What party?" Steph questioned.

"Es una fiesta en mi calle." He told Steph that it's a party on his street.

"Oh okay, I wanna go!" She smiled.

"You can come anywhere I am ma, I'on mind." He tickled her chin with his thumb.

Leo, Jaymon, and Kyla looked at me awkwardly sensing my uncomfortableness.

I just knew they were getting closer and closer. It did bother me. I just prayed that Ramón didn't take advantage of her. She deserves someone so much better than Ramón. He was slowly changing her, and I just didn't want him to change her too much. Ramón is a good guy, don't get me wrong. His intentions mean well, but he constantly fucked shit up. His priorities were fucked up, and he couldn't control his hormones. I feel like the hurt I felt by his disregard to my feelings were worse than being with Calvin. Emotional abuse is scarring. Mentally scarring. And I didn't know how much more I could take.