Chapter Eleven

Laney McKinley

  Almost two weeks have passed. I grew closer with the Ducks.

Alesha and I started talking. She said she wanted to come up and visit me, but she wasn't sure if she could. I told her about the homecoming dance coming up in two weeks.

She said it's be cool if I could go to theirs, but we both know I'm not very well liked or welcomed there.

I still haven't found a dress yet. Since it's Friday, Connie, Julie and I were going to go to the mall and look. I was probably going to stick with my plain navy blue dress I got from Walmart for Sams graduation. It wasn't anywhere close to fancy, but it was cute.

We were currently in our PE class. We stood against the mats while Coach took our attendance. I wore a pair of Nike shorts, with a navy green hoodie since I was pretty cold.

      Coach started us on our laps. Somehow I was in front of everyone.

    Without realizing it, in front of me, Coach spilled his water everywhere. I ended up slipping, landing on my back with a thump. I groaned.

     Guy ended up tripping over my feet, causing Dean to fall too.

      "Hey are you okay?" Connie asked, waking over to me. I nodded. She helped me up from the ground, then walking over to the two boys who attempted to get up, but kept falling anyways. The gym filled with laughter.

-

Julie, Connie and I walked around my house. The three of us were taking a grand tour, Ryan our tour guide since he basically helped build this place.

The two girls got their dresses. They looked gorgeous in them.

We were in the very bottom floor, where the gym was.

"This here," Ryan started, "is the gym. I don't really know why they put it in here, but it's actually pretty nice. We always stay up late playing basketball or Laney is destroying me at hockey."

I laughed, "hey, you just have to try, buddy."

Ryan playfully rolled his eyes, and we kept walking. We got to the room across the hall.

"Here is a pool. It's small, but it's nice for a few people to hang out in. There's also a little hot tub over there," Ryan said.

I couldn't believe this. This was unreal. I looked at Ryan in shock. Why was I suddenly getting emotional?

We moved on. Ryan and I walked in front of the two girls, my arm around his waist and his elbow resting on my head since he was so tall. He was like on of my brothers. But a nice one like Connor.

"It's so weird," I told him as we walked, "in Texas, we had the smallest house ever. A two bedroom, one bathroom place that barley even had running water. Now, we're here, the biggest house you could possibly imagine, I don't know how many bathrooms or bedrooms, and a freaking pool and a gym and who know what else!"

Ryan nodded, "you guys deserve this, little cuz." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"You're literally a month older than me," I responded.

"Yeah, so, little cuz?" I playfully punched the boy and laughed, "oh! The exercise room!"

-

"Connie, did I see you and Connor checking each other out earlier?"

The three of us sat in my room. I sat on the couch underneath my bed, Julie sat on a little stool type chair sitting in the middle of my room, tossing a foam football up in the air, and Connie stood in my bathroom curling her hair.

Her cheeks turned red at Julie's words. I smiled wide.

"I'm sorry Laney, but your brother is so freaking adorable and he's so sweet too," Connie said. My smile remained.

"Please, don't be sorry!" I responded, "I think it's quite adorable, Moreau."

Connie's smile grew. I could tell she was happy.

"Would you be mad if I started talking to him?" She asked. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"No, pft, girl, you do you. Talk to him. Do what makes you happy," I told her.

Connie sighed, "Laney, you're truly an angel."

      We got interrupted by a knock on my door, "come in!" I yelled. I saw the doorknob twist, and threw the door flew open. Standing there was Kayli with a huge smile on her face and all of her fashion stuff in her hands.

      "I need your help," she told me. I stood up confused and walked over to her.

       "With what?" I asked. I watched as Kayli paced around, trying to find something or get things ready. I really wasn't sure what she was doing.

      "This girl from Chicago wants me to make her a homecoming dress. The problem is, her dance is in two weeks. Same day as yours. She can't get here, and the maniqunne isn't working. She has a body type like yours. So I was wondering if you could be my model for this?" She asked.

     I shrugged and looked at my two friends. They had wide eyes, "uh, yeah, sure."

Kayli smiled wide, "thank you so very very much."

She came up to me, wrapping her tape measure around my torso. I looked down at her as she did so.

"What kind of dress does she want anyway?" I asked.

"An off the shoulder one. She doesn't know what color, but she wants it to be right above her knees, off the shoulders, and it has to have pockets," we all let out a small laugh.

"That's exactly the kind of dress I want," I smiled, "what color does she want?"

Kayli shrugged, "dunno. She wanted me to pick it out. She has the same color of skin as you though, so I was thinking maybe like a blush color," she said.

I suddenly had an idea, "oh! What if you added white lace to it somehow. That'd be pretty," I suggested. Kayli stopped and stood up, giving me a wide smile.

It seemed like something was up. I was going to get to the bottom of this.