Chapter Fourteen

Laney McKinley

I woke up from someone shaking me late in the evening. Once I got home from school, I immediately went to sleep. I always did that back in Texas. It felt different now that I had my own room.

"Come on, Laney, wake the hell up!" It was Rachel, telling in my ear. I was still beyond angry at her from this morning. The cuts on my cheek still hurt terribly.

I'd just hoped that it'd be healed up by time the dance came.

"What do you want?" I groggily asked. I rolled over slowly to face her. She was hanging in tightly to the ladder. I could've pushed her off then and there and watched her fall to the ground, but I wasn't going to be rude like that.

"Mom still isn't home, and someone has to make dinner. I called grandma and grandpa but they were rude and said I can make it myself," she explained. I tried to hold my laughter back. My grandparents weren't scared to be blunt.

I then sighed, "I'll be down shortly," I tiredly said. I heard her struggle to climb down. I rolled back over on my side, grabbing my pillow and covering my face with it. I groaned as loud as I could.

     I eventually made it downstairs, using the flashlight on my phone to see down the hall. I still wasn't quite sure where the light switch was, or where anything was if I was honest.

      "You're going to be a chef one day, aren't ya?"

      Behind me, Connor walked into the kitchen as I stood at the stove. I let out a small laugh at his words. I did bake a lot. I guess it was one of my hobbies aside from baking.

        "Maybe," I giggled, "where ever life takes me is where I end up."

     Connor chuckled. It became silent. You could only hear the sizzling of the chicken in the pan in front of me. I was still exhausted and wanted to go back to sleep.

     "So uh, Grandma is taking us to school tomorrow," Connor spoke up again. I could tell he was nervous, or that something was off.

     I turned the stove off, moving the chicken the the next burner so it could be off of the heat. I turned to my brother while it cooled.

     "Us to school?" That would be a lot of running for her. His school was about 15 minutes away from us, going to the right, and my school was around 10 minutes from us, but on the left. I'd walk if I have to.

    "I have some news.., I've been hiding it from you because I wanted to surprise you," he stated. I leaned against the island where he was sitting.

"Is everything okay?" I asked conceded. Connor nodded.

"I, uh, I know how when we got the news that we were moving, and then we got the whole schooling situation figured out, you were upset because we weren't going to the same school. And, I'm having a really hard time at this new school. Everything is too.., advanced. And like, I know Eden Hall is your own thing, and I didn't want to ruin that for you or anything."

A smile started to form on my face. Connors eyes softened. I ran around the island and gave my brother a hug.

I knew he struggled at school a lot, and I've always wanted nothing but the best for him, and I liked the fact that him and I weren't going to be separated any more.

"That's great news, Connor. Of course you're not ruining that. This makes it even better!" I told him. I pulled away. My back hit the edge of the counter behind me, which caused me to wince. I decided to jump up and sit on it, "is tomorrow going to be your first day or are you just touring?"

"I'm touring, but Dean Buckley said that I can stay and start if I want to," he said, "oh, and since I'm so far behind and everything, I'm not going to be a junior, I'll be a sophomore."

He sounded sad, "hey, it'll be okay," I told him, "I'll be right by your side."

      The next day at school, the Ducks still weren't there. I was exited that Connor was starting. The superintendent ended up getting sick today, so Connor was coming tomorrow instead.

     My friends still weren't there. I sat with Ryan and Scooter again instead. Their friends were really cool, and I was starting to make more friends everyday.

     There wasn't anything in my locker this morning, which was odd, but for PE, there was. It was another note. More lyrics from Ruel. It was from my favourite song of his.

     "We'll let the night turn to day, yeah I'm down either way, cause I'm so down for you!' I can't wait for Friday. I'll finally have the balls to come clean."

    I let out a small laugh. A sense of humour, I like it.

     When I made it home, yet again, I slept. While I was sleeping, my phone was blowing up from the team group chat. They were back!

portman
Little Lanes! We're finally back!

guy g
I can't wait to see you, Laney

banksie
she's probs sleeping
r u sleeping lanes?

connie
Ahhh it feels so nice to have my
phone back. I miss sending tiktoks
and I miss you so much Laney

Goldberg
Longest to days of my life, ugh

lanes
awe hey guys! I missed you all too!
I'm so glad you guys are back. Did y'all
have fun?

guy g
loads of fun, but it would've
been better with you here

banksie
ur such a flirt, germaine
but ur not wrong

I decided to go to the group chat I had with Connie, Julie, Adam and Luis. There was another person in the group chat, but it wouldn't let me see who it was. I became confused, but soon shrugged it off.

lanes
okay, I'm kind of confused by
what guy is texting the team gc.
does he like me too?

lanes
nah, never mind there's no way
he could like me.

luis mendoza
why do you say that? don't put
yourself down like that

jules
shit shit shit shit shit Laney
Laney Laney!!! We've got a problem!

lanes
what, what's wrong?

jules
there's someone else in this group chat

lanes
yeah I noticed that. do you know
who it is?

jules
Yes I do, and that's why I'm freaking out.
I'm happy, but I'm not sure how you're going
to react. Things are going to be fine despite your
reaction, okay?

lanes
okay...?

connie
Let's just say you don't have to tell guy
you like him anymore

Banksie
guy is in the gc? damn
that's my bad