Chapter Eighteen

Laney McKinley

"Dwayne, was this all you?" I asked in shock, a smile on my face. He shook his head.

We got to the end of the rink, where the word 'HOCO?' was spelled out in pucks and sticks. My smile started to grow even more.

"There's one more surprise you you, little lady," he sweetly said, his accent strong. Suddenly, the doors opened to where we enter for the game.

I couldn't believe who I saw walking out.

The blonde haired boy that I had the biggest crush on, who I though completely hated me and was trying his best to avoid me, skated onto the ice.

He wore a pair of fitted khakis, with a black crew neck that was nice, and looked nice on him. I knew my face was red. My cheeks hurt so much from smiling.

Dwayne skated away from me, and Guy skated closer. Guy grabbed ahold of my hands.

"So," he nervously said, "what about hoco?"

I started to giggle. I nodded, and wrapped the boy in a tight hug. I felt his breath against my ear.

"You look really beautiful, by the way," he whispered. I had butterflies in my stomach. Guy pulled away and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I smiled up at him.

"I literally can't thank you enough," I said, "all of those sweet notes, all of those sweet gifts, and those Post Malone tickets? All of that had to have been expensive, I feel bad."

    Guy smiled, pulling me close to him, "Don't feel bad. I've worked hard to earn the money I have, and you truly deserve it, I'm serious."

     I happily sighed. I didn't bother bringing up the subject of the incident the other day. I wasn't too sure what to even say about it, but I could tell that it was just something silly I didn't even need to worry about.

     I grabbed ahold of Guy's hand tightly and dragged him back to our friends.

      During lunch, I brought up the subject of them all spending the night for the dance tomorrow, which I was now very excited for since I get to go with my best friend.

      "How about we all meet up at the homecoming game, and then we go back to your house, if that's okay," Charlie suggested. His girlfriend Linda, who I finally got to meet, was glued to his arm. She seemed really sweet, so I invited her to come as well. I didn't want her to feel left out.

     I sat beside Guy. He had ahold of my hand underneath the table, resting our hands on my lap. A smile was stuck on my face.

     This boy was literally amazing.

      "I'm good with that, how about you guys?" I happily questioned. Everyone else agreed. I haven't been to any of the football games yet, but I knew this one was special. Adam and Fulton, who happened to also be on the football team, talked non stop about this game.

   I knew we were going to win this.

    This school really went all out for homecoming. They had a spirit week, a parade, a bonfire which happened after the game, a huge pep rally, and then the dance.

    Apparently whoever dressed up with the most school spirit today got free tickets to the dance, which was great.

     I definitely had something to look forward to the next two years if my family didn't move again. I really hoped we didn't. I found a place where I belonged.