30 | saint paul city lights

LANEY ROSE MCKINLEY

   "This is so beautiful, I swear."

    It was later in the night. The sun had set, and it was dark. Guy took me to see my little surprise. He drove us to this hill in the town he lived in where you could see all of the lights of Saint Paul.

   We stared below at the beautiful view. His arm was around my waist, providing me extra warmth in the cold night.

   My camera sat on a tripod by his car from when I was getting pictures previously of the view, and of him.

   A speaker sat on the roof of his car while he played songs. My favorite songs of course. I was so thankful. This night was such a calming night.

   "It's one of my favorite spots," Guy responded, "I don't think anyone else really knows about it, but this spot has gotten me through a lot."

   I frowned up at him, only hugging him tighter. I turned my body towards him and hugged the tall boy.

   "And you brought me here?" I asked him. He nodded his head.

   "Of course," he smiled, "you mean a lot to me, just like this spot."

   My smile grew. I stood on the tips of my toes and kissed his cheek.

   "I don't really have a favorite spot. Anywhere with you is my favorite spot though. In your arms, just like right now," I admitted. I heard Guy laugh which only caused me to smile.

   "That was smooth," his soothing voice told me. I pulled away from him. I skipped back over to my camera, fixing the settings so that I can get pictures of the two of us over and over again. Lucky for me, I could control my camera from my phone.

   When I got it situated, I ran back to Guy. I shoved my arms in my sleeves and started to wack the sleeves around out of coldness.

   Guy laughed at me when I got back to him.

   "Are you cold?" He asked. I nodded my head, fixing the beanie on my head. I heard the snaps of the camera over and over again. Guy laughed again as he took his jacket off, leaving him in his sweatshirt. He placed his jacket over my shoulders which only caused me to blush.

   "Thank you," I grinned. I gazed up at him with the biggest smile on my face.

   "Your birthday is in 15 minutes to be exact," he told me. I rose my eyebrows.

   "So you're keeping track?" I teased. He nodded.

   "Of course. You're gonna be sixteen! That's important to teenage girls! The moment they've been looking forward to since they were kids," he laughed. I shrugged my shoulders.

   "Not me. I just want to spend my birthday like a normal day, and of course get my license," I giggled. Guy jokingly rolled his eyes.

   "What's your plan for tomorrow?" He asked me. I shrugged my shoulders.

   "Well, I have to go to the DMV at 8 in the morning, and then my grandpa is taking me to the car dealership. I've been saving up for a car since I turned thirteen. I've done countless of jobs back in Texas and I'm hoping I have enough for something decent," I told him, "but after that I'll probably just head home since it's Saturday."

   "I have a birthday gift for you, but I want to give you one of them after work tomorrow," he said, "and I have another I want to give you when the clock strikes twelve, but I don't know if I can wait."

   I furrowed my eyebrows.

   "You didn't have to get me anything. You've already gotten so much for me," he sent me a playful glare.

   "I don't have to get you anything?" He mocked me, "I'm your boyfriend. Boyfriends spoil girlfriends. That how these things work."

   My eyes trailed down to his lips as he spoke. I became nervous. I wanted to kiss this boy so bad but I was scared. I bit my lip. I looked back up at his eyes.

   He glanced down at my lips too.

   "I can't wait any longer," he faintly said. I adjusted my grip on my phone, not realizing I accidentally hit the button to make the camera go off. I shoved my phone into my pocket and slowly started to lean in.

   I quickly smashed my lips into his, feeling the sparks I've been waiting for. I started to smile. I quickly pulled away.

   "Not going to lie, that was probably the best gift i could ever wish for," I smiled. The blonde spoke up.

   "It's not my birthday, but I feel like it is," he said. I chuckled.

   I then realized I got pictures of our moment. Giggles escaped my mouth. I quickly skipped back over to the tripod in excitement.

    I took the camera off of the base plate and started to look through the pictures. I smiled wide and started to blush. I felt Guy's presence beside me. I squealed, showing him the pictures.

   "Look at it! That's so cute!" I smiled wide. I felt the boy place his finger under my chin as he hovered over me. He gently lifted my head to face him. I felt his lips against mine again. I slowly let my camera slide out of my hands. It landed on the roof of his car silently, my lips still attached to his.

   I leaned my back against the side of the car, my hands snaking around the back of his neck. He placed his hands on my lower back and pulled me closer to him.

   I felt fireworks exploding in my stomach, it was unreal.

   Finally, I kissed him. Finally, we didn't get interrupted. Finally, I didn't freak out.

   He held onto one last small kiss before pulling away.

"No one makes me feel the way you do," he whispered to me. Chills were sent up and down my body. I placed my arms around the boy, hugging him tightly.

"I care so much about you," I whispered back. I rested my head on his chest, letting out a small yawn.

"Happy Birthday, doll face."

"Thank you, dimples."