28 | apologies

LANEY ROSE MCKINLEY

"Laney, Laney, wait up!"

I slowed my pace while I walked down the halls to the front of the school once school was over. Guy left as soon as the bell rang because he had to take his little sister to a doctors appointment.

I heard Charlie's voice down the hall, followed by his footsteps. I stopped once he reached me and smile up at him.

"Hey, Captain Duck," I grinned. However, he didn't. My smile started to fade. I sent him a confused look, "is everything.. okay?"

He slowly nodded his head, "about last night..," he trailed off. I swallowed the lump that was in my throat. I crossed my arms, "I just wanted to let you know that I'll always be here for you if you need to talk. I don't really know what happened in Texas, but I can tell you didn't deserve it. I want to.. protect you. Ya know? You're like a sister to me. To the whole team. You're part of the family now, and we're all going to protect you no matter what. It's what we do."

I smiled wide, "Charlie.., thank you. That really means a lot. I'm happy to be apart of such a great family. And I promise you, I'm good now. Thank you for checking up on me, I appreciate it. I'll always be here for you too if you ever need to talk."

He returned the smile. He gave me a small hug before pulling away. He glanced at the watch on his wrist before cursing.

"Shit, I have to go," he spoke. He looked back down at me, "I'll see you later, McKinley."

I chuckled, waving at the boy, "later, Conway!"

Once he left, I made my way outside of the school. Like usual, Connie and Julie stood in front of the school but today, Dean was with them. We did this everyday after school.

"Hey guys!" I greeted them, "I'm sorry I'm late, I ran into Charlie," I smiled. I knew they had to leave. Julie wrapped me into a small hug, shortly pulling away.

"I have to catch Scooter's bus," she smiled, "so I will see you tomorrow. I'll text you later!" She grinned. She started to walk backwards towards the stairs. I wave at her.

"Bye Jules! Have fun tonight!"

  "So..," Connie started when Julie was gone. I turned back to her. Her arms were crossed over her chest and a frown was on her face, "how are you, ya know?"

   I sent her a soft smile, letting her know I was alright, "how are you?" I asked. She sighed, throwing her arms down to her side.

   "I'm worried about you, I really am. I'm sorry if I'm acting weird, it's just that, I care. A lot. And I don't want anything bad to happen to you," she frowned. I quickly walked up to her and wrapped her into a tight hug. Dean suddenly joined in.

   "Guys, I promise you. I'm great. None of those thoughts cross my mind. I'm the happiest I think I could ever be," I reassured them. I felt bad that they were worrying about me. I didn't want them to worry about me. I want them to live life.

    I pulled away from the two who still frowned at me.

   "Promise?" Dean questioned. I nodded my head.

   "I promise."

    Walking out the doors beside us was Connor and Ryan. They both came to a stop. I watched as my brother walked over to Connie, giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek which only made her giggle. My smile grew. I glanced over at Ryan.

    Connor and I haven't talked about last nights situation. I wasn't even sure if he knew I knew. But after what Adam told me what happened, I just wanted to hug my brother.

"Laney, can you ride home with me please?" Connor asked me once he pulled away from Connie. I nervously adjusted my grip on my backpack yet nodded my head.

"Uh, yeah.., yeah," I trailed off. He looked at the ground for a brief moment, obviously nervous about something. I glanced at my two friends that were left.

I sent them a small wave before chasing after Connor and Ryan who were already halfway down the stairs.

   "So, last night..," Connor trailed off once we got in the car. I threw my book bag in the back seat with his before turning back to him in the front seat. His hands gripped onto the steering wheel tightly out of nervousness, "Ryan and I talked."

   I nervously gulped, "you did?" I asked. The boy kept his head down, sighing and nodding.

   "He told me everything, showed me the messages from down in Texas..," he started to choke up which caused me to frown, "I texted Brady. I told him not to lie to me. I begged and pleaded him. He came clean. Told me everything.., even about this Instagram account... Laney, I'm sorry I didn't believe you. I really am. You're my sister, my best friend, I should've believe you but I was being a jerk, and I can't forgive myself for that! You kept denying it just to clear the air between us. I told mom... Connie told me that they heard everything too, and I'm sorry. I know it's not something you wanted people to know."

   My brother became silent. I reached over the car and wrapped him into a tight hug as he started to cry. I frowned even more.

   "You're gonna make me cry!" I pouted. I looked down and started to rub circles on his back, "please don't beat yourself up about it. Please?" I begged him, "he's your best friend. That's why I didn't tell you in the first place. I never wanted to hurt you or for you to be upset."

   I felt his hot tears seep through my shirt.

   "I'd chose you over him any day. We're no longer on talking terms," he sobbed. I hugged the boy tighter.

   "Please don't cry," I quietly said, letting out a nervous laugh. He laughed too through the tears. I rubbed his back again while closing my eyes, "everything is going to be okay, I promise," I sighed, "I promise..."