31 | sixteen

LANEY ROSE MCKINLEY

  "Congratulations, Miss. McKinley, here is your temporary drivers ID. One will be sent in the mail and you should have it before the week is over. The state of Minnesota welcomes you to the roads. Drive safely," I squealed at the nice mans words as he handed me my driver's license.

   "Thank you very much sir!" I exclaimed to him with a big smile on my face, "have a great rest of your day," I sweetly said to him.

   I turned in my heels to face my grandpa sitting alone in the many chairs throughout the room. I gave him a thumbs up. He could tell I passed my drivers test when I walked into the building after the road test. I couldn't stop smiling.

   Once I got to him, he got up from the chair. He placed his arm around me and we both walked out of the building.

   "Are you ready to go to the car dealership?" He asked me. I excitedly nodded my head, "have your money?" I nodded my head once again.

   I stared at the beautiful white dodge journey that sat in front of me. I glanced over at my grandpa with joy. It was beautiful, it was my size, and I could fit my friends in there too. Not all of them, obviously.

   Someone could sit in the passenger seat, obviously, three people in the first row of back seats, and two people in the third. The seats in the back folded down so I had room for things like groceries and such. However, if Ken sat in the back, three people would be able to sit back there.

   "What about this one?" My grandpa asked the sales man.

   "Oh, the Journey?" He asked. I nodded my head, "well, the price on that just dropped, actually. It's used, was in a few crashes with damage that needs fixed which is why the price dropped. Other than that, it runs like its brand new and I think it'd be perfect for you."

   I grinned widely. It was the one. My first car, and I'm buying it with my own money! That's something I will always be proud of.

  Working in a bowling alley and at summer carnival for three years paid off. I just needed to find a job here in Minnesota. Connor worked at a car dealership, which wasn't this one, and he was a salesperson. He wanted to be a mechanic but they hired him as a salesman because of his good looks. Ryan also worked there, as the photographer of corse and he ran the websites which was pretty cool. Guy also happened to work there as a mechanic. They wanted him to be a salesman too but he denied it. He'd rather work on the cars. Plus he was shy, which was quite adorable.

   Working on cars was a hobby if Guy's. He'd always work on dirt bikes too. He said it calmed him down. It was something he always did aside from hockey. It was cute.

   I watched him work on his car one time. Not going to lie, it was hot the way his muscles flexed and how he kept biting his bottom lip just to focus. I snapped back to reality.

   Though the vehicle needed to be fixed in some parts, that'd just be a great project for my grandpa and I.

"Alrighty then," the man said, "we just have to fill out some paper work and you're on your way."

Pulling up to the house, I turned my blasting music down. It was kind of weird driving by myself, but at least I could blast music.

   I parked beside Ryan's car in front of the garage. I knew he'd be here. He was always here and I think he was more excited about my own birthday than he was.

   I got out of the vehicle, making sure I had everything before I locked it up. My grandpa parked in front of the house seconds later.

   I could hear music blasting in the back yard, and I could smell a campfire. It was pretty cold outside yet the skies were blue and the sun was out. I liked this weather.

   I walked over my grandpa at the front stairs.

   "What's that music?" I asked confused.

   "Oh, Brian mentioned something about having friends over or something," he laughed, "Are you sure you don't want to do anything?" He asked me, "don't want to go get dinner or something? No last minute parties?"

   I let out a small laugh at his works. I shook my head.

   "I'm good grandpa, thank you. Also thank you very much for taking me today and thank you for co-signing my car and everything. I really appreciate it," I told him. He sent me a proud smile.

   "For you, of course," my smile grew. He started to walk up the stairs with me. We shortly walked into the empty house, "you know Laney, I'm super proud of you and Connor. And your other siblings of course, but the two of you have blown my socks off. You both have worked hard to earn money. You both bought your own vehicles, and you both are the nicest teenagers I know."

   I shut the door behind me, "grandpa, I love you," I smiled in awe. He wrapped me into a small hug. He shortly pulled away.

   Before I could say or do anything else, I saw Brian walking in from the back yard. It was odd, the boy has been a lot nicer to me since the Connor and Brady situation. My other siblings and I still didn't have a very good relationship, but it wasn't something I bothered thinking about much.

I sent Brian a smile. He returned it.

"Happy birthday," he told me. My smile grew. He hasn't said that to me in years.

"Thank you," I happily responded. He nodded his head.

"I know it's your birthday and everything, but can you do something for me in the back yard?" He asked me. I forced my smile to stay on my face. I should've know.

I nodded my head, "yeah of course. What is it?"

The two of us started to walk through the house. As we walked through the kitchen, I threw my keys on the counter.

"It's kind of hard to explain, actually," the boy laughed. I bit my lip. I was used to doing these things. I nodded my head once again, "just be careful though. It's loud and my friends might try to hit on you."

I let out a small laugh, "doubt it," I joked. We headed into the back room, approaching the sliding doors covered with curtains.

He slightly moved the curtain and opened up the door. I could hear chatter of his friends. It sounded like a lot of people. I let out a small breath.

"I'll let you go first," he said. I started to walk forwards. I stepped onto the back deck and looked around the crowded back yard.

"Wait a second..," I murmured. I knew all of these people. I glanced back at Brian, then back at everyone. I saw Connor and Ryan standing by the fire with their friends, who were also my friends. Their girlfriends were with them.

Over by the pond fishing looked to be my uncle and aunt with Kayli and Chloe.

"Surprise!" Someone shouted. My eyes wandered to the cool hang out spot that was in the yard were tables and chairs sat. It was my teammates. Everyone was there aside from Guy of course.

"What the heck?" I gawked.

"Happy birthday," Brian said once again. I glanced up at him.

"Is this a party? For me?" I asked. My brother rolled his eyes.

"How oblivious are you?" He joked, "duh. Why do you think all of your friends are here?"