25 | painting class

LANEY ROSE MCKINLEY

LANEY ROSE MCKINLEY

It was finally Monday. I clearly didn't want to go to school today considering how terrible I looked. I wish I could pull of sweatpants and hoodies like Connie, Julie and Linda could. I just looked like a rat.

   "You, know, that is a really really nice Champion hoodie you have on there, Potato Chip Face. Where'd you get it?" Guy asked me while we walked to our third period together. We always had to wait for the teacher who was always late, so we slowed down as we neared the classroom. I started to grin and giggle uncontrollably.

    "I don't know..," I trailed off. I picked up my pace, walking past him in a rush. He suddenly lunged forwards which caused me to squeal. My back hit the lockers beside us. He backed away from me and looked down at me.

   "It looks better on you than it did on me anyways," he responded. I smiled wide, watching him lean against the lockers across the hall.

"Hey, Laney! Guy! You guys were incredibly cute together Saturday night! Man, I hope I have a relationship like that one day!" A girl from our class spoke up. She stood by the door with the rest of our classmates who were now staring at us.

"Oh, uh thank you, but we're not, uh...," I glanced over at Guy nervously as I spoke.

"-We're uh, not dating...," he trailed off awkwardly. I felt my cheeks turn red. I looked down.

"Really? It seems like you two have been dating forever!"

I glanced back up at Guy, a smile plastered on my face. I saw him looking at me already. He stuck his tongue out at me. I felt my jaw drop.

"You jerk!" I joked, doing the same thing back to him.

"It's cuter when you do it, Potato Chip Face."

"That's because I am cuter, Locker Blocker."

  "Great defense, McKinley! Germaine, get past her! Don't be scared of your girlfriend!" I heard Coach Orion scream from the bench. I glared at the blonde in front of me. He quickly skated around me which caused me to fall to the ice.

    I smiled while groaning.

   "Thanks, Coach Orion!" I yelled back jokingly as I got up from the ice. As soon as Guy made the goal, Coach called us in. I playfully glared at Guy as he skated over to me. We all took a knee and listened to what Coach had to say.

"Great practice today, guys. You're definitely going to defeat the Hornets tomorrow night if you play like you practice," he said to us all. A smile started to form on my face, "now go get a shower and get out of here. You guys smell!"

I laughed at his comment. I got up from the ice, taking my helmet and my gloves off. I pulled my hair out of the messy low bun that was already falling out, letting my hair flow behind me.

"Hey, Lanes?" I heard behind me. I knew it was Guy by his soothing voice. I smiled, "so you have a ride home?"

I nodded my head, "yeah, Ryan is picking me up."

He nodded as well. The both of us skated off the ice, walking to the locker rooms.

"Okay, I'm going to head home and get a shower and I'll be over to pick you up at 6, unless you want to stop and get something to eat," he suggested. I frowned.

"I'd love to, but it's five o'clock right now and I have to go home, get a shower and make dinner for my family," I told him. My grin started to grow, "but if you want, you can come over and get something to eat. I'm making chicken and fried pickles."

I saw his face lite up, "chicken and fried pickles!" He exclaimed, "my favorite!" I laughed, "okay, I'll be over it that's okay with you and your family and if it's not a problem.

I playfully rolled my eyes, "you're always welcome at my house and you know that."

Guy and I sat side beside at our painting class. He kept teasing me on how determined I was to make my painting perfect, though we haven't even really started painting yet. The teacher was dealing with some idiotic people outside. Eventually she came back in and started teaching us.

"Okay, class, were going to start off by using the biggest brush you have, and covering your canvas with the blue paint. Don't forget to paint the sides too!" She told us.

I turned to the canvas in front of me, starting to gently brush the paint all over it.

"What are we even painting anyways?" Guy asked me confused.

"A rustic looking truck with flowers in the back," I told him, not tearing my eyes away from the canvas.

"Pft, I'm sure that's easy," he said. I glanced at him real quick with a smirk on my face. He laughed at me. I started painting again, him following my actions.

"You say that now...," I murmured. He was in for a real surprise.

The teacher started walking around the tables, looking at all of our paintings so far though we were just painting it blue. When she got to us, I became nervous. I wasn't sure why.

"Hey, Laney," Guy spoke up, "what do you think of my painting so far. Am I doing good?"

Before I could look, I heard the teacher gasp. I quickly looked up at her, and then back at Guy. I looked at the canvas.

"Huh?" I asked confused. He had written something on it, which for some reason made the teacher really happy and caused her to pull her phone out.

My eyes focused on the words, 'WILL U B MY GIRL?'

I looked at Guy in shock, trying to stop myself from smiling so much. I placed my paintbrush in the glass of water. I leaned forward and gave the boy a small hug.

"Real smooth, Germaine, real smooth," I smiled. He looked at me confused.

"So, is that a yes?" He asked, setting his canvas back onto the stand. I nodded my head.

"Yes, you big goon," I responded. He smiled wide. He suddenly leaned forward and placed a small kiss on my cheek. The teacher in front of us looked down at us with excitement.

"Can I please get a picture? That was so cute!"