Three Words, Many Feelings

Lindsey's POV

I pace outside Ray's hospital room, my head down, breathing heavy. I can't even begin to describe how horrible the feeling in my chest is.

I jump when Dr. Harman walks out of her room.

"Is she okay? Please tell me she's okay!" I rush, my heart pounding.

"Mrs. Way, right now, all we can do is wait. Your daughter lost an excessive amount of blood, an amount that may cause permanent side effects." He explains, consent in his voice.

"What caused the bleeding?"

"Your daughter... She had a miscarriage. This is common with teenage pregnancies, as in most of the cases the female organs haven't fully developed properly, since the female is still at a young age."

My mouth drops, "Oh my god... W-what side effects could she have?" I croak, tears springing to my eyes.

"There is quite the variety. There's organ failure, which we'll do immediate surgery if we see any signs of that, um, there's amnesia, emotional unstablity, there are many more possibilities, and we won't find out unless she wakes up."

My legs feel weak, and I almost fall over, "U-unless? You're s-s-saying she might not wake up?" That's it. My cheeks dampen from the tears rolling down them.

"We're doing all we can, but there is a slight chance that she won't awaken. The medication we gave her should have her asleep for another hour, so we'll have to wait until then. I'm very sorry, Mrs. Way." He says sympathetically before turning and walking down the hallways to speak to a nurse.

Oh god.

I open the door to her room and enter, seeing her lying peacefully in the hospital bed. They have her hooked up to an oxygen tank, and multiple needles and tubes are sticking from her arms. My poor baby.

From my purse, I remove Bandit's Batman toy that she asked me to give Ray, setting it on her chest. She flinches at the touch, spiking my hopes, but she doesn't wake up.

All I can do is hope for her to awaken, and if she doesn't... I just don't know what I'll do.

***

My mouth parts slightly when her eyes open, scanning her surroundings.

"Ray..." I whisper, my voice hoarse from crying.

Her eyes are wide and confused, "What just happened?"