Chapter 2

"I don't know what I'd do without you she says," I mumble to myself. Bah! It was that smile that did me over.

It's been awhile since sis smiled like that...

I shook my head of her smile, focusing at the task at hand. I stared at the crumpled bills in my hand, and began counting as I walked. I briefly stopped walking for a moment, when I kept counting the money after $25. Once I finished, I stood there baffled.

This is a joke.

I began counting again, and ended up with the same amount. "What the hell are you doing with forty dollars sis.." I told myself, surprised at the amount of money. This discussion is not over.

I want to know who, and why her boss gave her this much money.

I started to ponder hard at these thoughts, and nearly missed the jewelry store because of it. I walked in, and was instantly welcomed by stares. Soon, they turned into stares of disgust.

I'd have flipped them all off by now, but being the customer that I am today, I can only shoot piercing daggers at the staring people.

I looked at the selection of jewelry before me. If I didn't have money, I'd have passed this place without a second thought. Survival is more fitting than jewelry. Not to mention a bit tasteless at times.

Especially this local jewelry store. If sis thinks I'm going to walk my ass to a farther and more expensive jewelry store, she is sadly mistaken. It's not like she specifically asked which jewelry store or for real jewelry. I'm sure she'll be fine with the less costly one, and still save extra money for meals I won't have to steal.

"Excuse me sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," a voice told me from behind. I turned around and saw one of the store's employee talking to me.

I gave a crude smile at her and said, "I'm sorry, but I'm actually shopping if you don't mind," I retorted to her.

"Apparently not sir. You seem to be window-shopping. If you would like some assistance, then please ask."

This employee was getting on my nerves. I looked quickly to my right and spotted a pearl necklace. I grabbed it coolly and showed it to her face. "I'm buying this. If you don't mind me saying this, be the worker you are and ring this up for me. Cause y'know, their paying you to work, not make judgements on your customers."

She gritted her teeth and tried to calmly take the necklace from my hand, but I already darted to the register, feigning impatience.

She stomped lightly to the register and rang up the necklace. "That'll be $36.48 for the necklace kid," she said angrily while clacking her nails on the counter.

It was my turn to grit my teeth. I am anything but a kid. She was doing this to push my buttons, and it's surely working. I slapped the money on the counter, startling some buyers in the store. "Just take the money."

Silence only passed between us as she did her job. When she gave me my change, she didn't even want to touch me. She left it on the counter with the receipt, and walked away to attend to other customers. I stared blankly at the money, feeling the boil of anger seep into me.

"Calm down, calm down," I kept telling myself in pent up rage. This will always be how it is. Me just being different from the rest of them. I looked back at everyone as they all stared at me. Some things..will just never change. I snatched the change off the counter, pushed my way past the bullshit employee, and did what I felt like doing since I first came in here.

I flipped those motherfuckers off with pride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I stepped outside and started to walk back home, a big clothed figure ran into me. We both collided on the floor in a heap. The guy didn't care, he picked up the bag he was carrying from the floor and continued to run. No apologies, no anything.