Chapter 12

2 Years Later

"Ahahahaha! Welcome to our country King Solomon!" He greeted to the King of Assyria.

"It is but a pleasure King Harold," King Solomon replied. They shook hands.

"Do come in," he told King Solomon.

King Solomon walked in our palace and complimented it. Soon, he bumped into my sister without realizing it. My sister fell to the floor with a thud.

"Ouch! Oi, why'd you bump into me?" My sister questioned the King.

He gave her a disapproving look, but King Solomon laughed heartily. He knelt at my sister's level, and took her hand. "My apologies prinzessin(princess)(He spoke a bit of German). Do forgive my rudeness." He took my sister's hand and kissed it. My sister blushed red.

"W-w-whah!?" She said embarassingly. I stepped in front of my sister.

"Your rudeness has been forgiven. Although, I'd say it was both of your faults for not paying close attention to each other," I said without thinking.

From behind King Solomon's shoulder, I saw him stare at me angrily. King Solomon smiled widely at me and said, "What a smart boy! He's just like my own sons! I like you, what is your name?"

"I am not a boy!" I told him. "I'm thirteen, teen! It's not boy either! My name is Lancelot Vanden Broek."

"Is the Vanden supposed to be your middle or last name?" King Solomon asked with a smile.

"Why you-!"

I couldn't finish my sentence as my mother took me away from King Solomon. She curtsied in front of him. She didn't raise her head as she introduced herself. "I am Daphine Vanden Broek, King Harold's wife. Pleased to meet you."

King Solomon got to his feet. He walked towards my mother. "My dear Daphine, why do you lower your head? Do you deem yourself lesser than me?"

He came beside my mother and whispered in her ear. I saw my mother's lips twitch at the corners, but she kept her head bowed without responding. King Solomon stood in front of my mother.

He lifter her chin up to him. "Lift your head, for you are not less worthy of my presence. We are equal, yes?"

My mother met King Solomon's eyes, and I'm sure she wanted to cry. Of all the men that came to the palace, they never said anything about mother's head bow. They told him that he was teaching her the right way.

However, I'm sure he wasn't pleased by King Solomon's actions.

A Few Months Later

We were invited to King Solomon's home that he bought in Germany. Everyone attended the gathering. He was out mingling with rich important people, leaving us to conduct ourselves accordingly. Leila was at home with the babysitter. It was important for the heir and wife to attend.

Mother and I went out into the balcony. We leaned on the railing, staring out at the stars.

I felt suffocated at that party. All the adults talking about future industries, and plans. I understood them, but the talk became boring. S a person my age, I shouldn't be living a life like this. A life of abuse, secrecy, but most of all...the life of a prince. What I'd give to have been normal.

"It's a beautiful night, isn't it?" A voice said behind us. We turned around to see King Solomon standing with a glass of wine.

My mother instantly put her head down. King Solomon walked to her and tilted her head up. He brought the glass of wine to his lips, then he.brought the glass of wine to my mother's lips. She drank the rest of the wine.