Chapter 13

Yunohara's P.O.V

I heard the splash of Lance jumping into the water, but didn't pay much attention to it. My mind was trying to process and understand everything that Lance told me about his past.

I stared down at the sand, and watched as the waves of the ocean splashed on my feet and sand. I never would have thought something like that happened to Lance...

Before he told me about his past, he said Ichinose was the only one he told his story to. He didn't tell me anything about Ichinose except for their meeting. I sighed loudly and leaned back into my chair. That means I'll have to find and talk to Ichinose next...

I looked out into the ocean and stared at Lance. Lance floated on the waters with his eyes closed. His body rose and fell gently with his light breathing. His whole posture and behavior makes him look...at peace.

"The pursuit and longing of money to replace happiness, is utterly futile and incomparable," I told myself gently, quoting the woman who told me that years ago. I gave a bitter laugh, despite myself. How ironic for her to have said that.

...That's what happened to Lance's family. How easy their happy family was turned into a world so cruel... All because of money.

Soon, I got off of my beach chair and dived into the waters. I began to swim to Lance, but made sure to keep my head submerged in the cool waters. When I reached Lance, I popped my head from underneath the waters and splashed him.

He hadn't seen it coming. From the look on his face and actions, he hadn't even heard me dive in the water or sneak up on him.

"Lee-kun..." Lance softly called.

You know Lance...I don't think we're that different from each other.

I glided over to Lance, and gave a small smile. Once I was close to him, I gave him a comforting hug.

"Lee-kun! What're you-?"

"You want to be comforted, right?" I gently asked him.

Lance said nothing. So, I continued. "Lance...you and I aren't as different. I've realized that a bit... Our family...well, your Father couldn't stand by you, your mother, and sister. He gave up his family for riches and power. My family...relates to it in a way."

When I began to mention the words 'my family', Lance wrapped his arms around my waist as we hugged. "How so?"

I bit my lip, contemplating if I should tell Lance or not. I've never told anyone about this. Lance told me so much, but...that doesn't mean I owe him a story of my own. I gave my head a slight shake as memories of the past began to resurface.

"Lets...lets just leave it at that. You've dealt with the pain of having one of your parents turning their back on family. I've dealt with...with everyone," I told him.

"Everyone? Was there not someone who-?"

"No," I cut him off. "There was no one beside me. No one who truly showed me their compassion towards me. It was the slums, me, myself, and I. My sister didn't join me until far later." I silently muttered, "By the time she showed me her care...I didn't fully accept it. No, I didn't want to accept it. Her care was basically an apology for not being there with me in those years."

I gave Lance a sad smile. "At least you weren't alone. You showed how much family meant to you than money. For that, you weren't turned on...merely accepted and cared for. And even when you go back home, you still have family waiting for you...your little sister."

"Yuu-kun...don't look like that," Lance told me.

I gave a fake smile. "Look like what? It's a great day today at the beach so we should really-"