Twelve - Halloween Party

Dan

I was waiting inside the taxi for Elysa and Emma to come down from their apartment. Phil had exited the taxi and was leaning on the door. Phil was dressed as a vampire and it had taken a while to get his fake blood perfect. It was annoying after spending 5 minutes doing it and then him wiping it off, doing it himself. I was dressed as Slenderman and I really hoped Elysa would like it. Ages ago, when we had dinner, Elysa told us how much she likes to see a guy in a suit, even if it is just a blazer. They look, as she put it. ‘snazzy’. So, I acted on her comment and wore my black blazer, black skinny jeans, black dress shoes, my white dress shirt and a red tie. I had caked on white face paint and dusted my hair with flour.

“How long are your friends going to take?” The driver asked.

I looked outside the window and saw the doors of the building open. “They’re coming out now.”

Phil opened the door and Emma slid in. She was dressed as Astrid from How To Train Your Dragon. It was one of Phil’s favourite kid movies and I remember seeing it with him as soon as it came out at the cinema and then buying it as soon as it came out on DVD. Emma sat opposite me, Phil next to her and then Elysa joined us. I was speechless. Elysa looked absolutely amazing. She was dressed as Harley Quinn, the Joker’s sidekick, and she pulled off the look. Her one piece suit was 4 red and black parts, one red and one black shoe, her hair was in two pigtails with layers of red and black, a black mask was secured to her face with a clear elastic strap, and her eye makeup was black. She had also dyed her hair red and black in layers.

“You two look amazing. Astrid and Harley Quinn. Nice choice.” I exclaimed.

“You guys look amazing too. A vampire and Slenderman. I like the fact that you didn’t get a suit, Dan, just a blazer and skinny jeans. Really creates the factor that only you seem to be able to pull off.” I smiled at her comment. “And Phil! The blood looks amazing. It must have taken ages.”

“It did, actually. Phil decided that after 5 minutes he didn’t like how I had done it and took it all off.”

“But we had plenty of time. You’re the one that gets ready 1 minutes before we have to leave.” Phil retorted and I scoffed.

“Haven’t resolved that problem, have you?"

“Que?”

“At dinner the beginning of this month we went to dinner and you, Phil, ranted about how Dan gets ready at the last minute.”

“It’s because if we’re not going out I see no point in changing out of tracksuit pants.”

“I understand where you’re coming from, Dan, but I get ready an hour before because Emma likes to be prepared. However, she didn’t pack condoms, just in case she gets lucky.” Emma blushed.

“Were you planning on getting lucky?” I asked.

“No!”

“Don’t worry, Emma. I know you like James but you’re not with him. But if you do need condoms, I've got some in my pocket. Gotta have protection if you don't want to be pregnant, you know?”

"Dude! I'm not going to have sex tonight!" Emma screamed. I'll admit, it was funny to see them banter. But over condoms? Isn't that a bit weird?

"Anyway!" Phil interjected.

"Alright, you four. We're here." I handed over a £50 note and we all piled out of the taxi. Walking up the path to the front door Elysa and Emma began pushing each other around, giggling like 5-year-olds. I shook my head at their child-like behaviour and knocked on the door. It swung open and there stood Carrie, wearing a black one piece suit, black boots, a headband with cat ears, and cat whiskers drawn on her face. Normally cat costumes are over-sexualized but since it's Carrie it wasn't.