Twenty-Four - First Date

"So, where are we going?" I asked.

"Somewhere." Dan replied.

"Can't you tell me?" I whined.

"No. You're not going to know until we're there. Which is why you're going to wear this." Dan handed me a piece of black material which I recognised as a blindfold. I wrapped it around my head, covering my eyes before tying it together at the back.

"Can you see anything?" Dan asked.

"No."

"Okay. That's good." Dan took my hand in his and pulled me towards the taxi that had been waiting for us out the front of my apartment. "You know, I had no idea where to take you for our first date."

"Really?"

"Just lower yourself and sit in the taxi. But yeah, I had no idea. I tossed around plenty of ideas. It's our first date so I want it to be memorable." The car started with a rumble and began heading down the street. "I thought maybe the Starbucks that we first met at but Starbucks isn't the right place to go to for a date. Then I thought Nando's, where we met for dinner that one time but that didn't seem right either. I was then thinking of a movie but I knew you'd prefer to talk on a date. I looked at restaurants, café's, a number of other places that would've been nice but none seemed right. Until I remembered something you said a couple of days ago."

"What did I say?"

"I can't tell you that, it'll ruin the surprise. But I think you'll really like this.  I had a little help from my mum, though."

"Oh yeah? What did she do?"

"Elysa," Dan scolded. "I'm not going to tell you, so stop asking."

I sighed in defeat. "Fine."

A couple of minutes later the car halted with a squeal. After opening the door, Dan grabbed my hand and led me out, telling me where to step. The air outside was cold and bit at my exposed skin.

"Dan," I whined. "It's freezing."

"Don't worry, I brought jumpers because I knew you wouldn't dress properly. I know what you're like."

"Ugh, you have such little faith in me. What do I get?"

"The grey one with the horns on the hood. Is that okay?"

"Do you have another? That one looks really good on you. Seriously, you need to wear it more often."

"Really? You think so?"

"Yeah, definitely."

"Okay, well, I do have another one for you. Am I allowed to put your jumper on?"

"Sure." I felt Dan's breath on my face and then the soft yet scratchy wool of one of Dan's jumpers being pulled down over my eyes, making the blindfold slip down just enough so I could see what Dan had set up.

"Oh Dan, this is so sweet." There was a red and green tartan picnic rug laid out next to a tree, a basket with a bottle of wine poking out, and a small bouquet of flowers.

"Elysa, close your eyes. It's not done yet." Dan complained. He put his head in his hands, annoyed at himself.

"Dan, it's okay." I pulled him in for a hug. "I'll pretend I didn't see anything."

"I'm sorry, I just wanted this to be perfect and a surprise and you saw it before it was finished." Dan sniffed.

"It's okay, Dan. It's okay. It'll be perfect no matter what. So, why don't you give me those flowers and we'll start this perfect date?" I grabbed his hand and pulled him over to rug, before pushing him down. I sat next to him, still holding his hand. Dan pulled himself together before grabbing the flowers. He handed them to me and I noticed a small card.

"Thank you Dan, they're beautiful." I pulled out the card and read the message.

Dear Elysa,

This is our first date, and one I've been waiting for for a while. I hope this will be perfect.

Dan xx

"Oh Dan, this is so cute. Thank you so much." I leant over and kissed him on the cheek. "Is it food time now?"

"It is indeed."

He grabbed the basket and hauled it closer. He pulled out the wine, two plastic cups, a Thermos container, two forks, and a small box of chocolates.

"What's in the Thermos?" I asked.

"Pasta." Dan answered.

"You Brits say pasta weird."

"No, it's you Aussies who say pasta weird. You say par-sta."

"Still weird. But anyway, you brought pasta? You know I love pasta, right?"

"I know. That's why I brought it.

"Dan, you are brilliant."

"I know." Dan said and I laughed. Dan opened the wine and poured it into the two cups. He handed one to me and took a sip of his own. He then placed it next to him, grabbed the Thermos, unscrewed the lid and put both forks in.

"You know, Dan, this is actually amazing. Can you tell me what I said, now?" I twirled the fork and shoved the pasta in my mouth.

"You said that you love picnics and you hadn't been to one in ages. And that you love going to parks."

"I love parks, sure, but not when it's freezing."

"It's only Spring, Elysa. It's quite warm."

"Yeah, but a British Autumn is an Australian Winter."

"Okay." He put his arm around me and rubbed my arm in an attempt to warm me. I took a sip of wine, leant into Dan and rested my head on his shoulder. "So, how are you?"

"I'm good. I mean, this is a pretty perfect first date. You did good." I poked him in the side, causing him to squirm.

"Well, I just want to make you happy."

"Dan, don't go soppy on me."

"It's true, though. You've only just gotten back from Australia and your dad passed away recently. That's a lot to deal with."

I sighed. Dan was right, I did have a lot on my plate. "Now's the time to tell you about what happened it Sydney, isn't it?"

"I think that may be best. I always feel better when I talk to someone. God knows how many messages I've sent to friends telling them about my existential crisis'." Dan laughed softly to alleviate the tension in the air.

I took a deep breath in and told Dan everything about Sydney: about what the doctors said about my dad, about my mum, about Sam, about everything. Just like Dan said, it felt good to get it off my chest.

After my confession we finished the pasts, just chatting about random things. We began to learn more about each other; our likes, our dislikes, our hobbies, our greatest fears, our hopes and dreams, et cetera. After we finished the food, and went halfway through the wine, we packed up, joined hands and wandered through the park.

The date ended under a gazebo, Dan's lips pressed against mine. It was certainly a perfect date.

Yay, another chapter finished. I spent so much time on this. I actually wrote it ages ago, knowing I would use it at some point. I did have to change it though because I feel like my writing style has changed so much recently.

Anyway, some of you  might be sad to hear this but this story has one or two chapters left. The next chapter will be a few months ahead but I don't know when I'll update it. I don't have a lot of time this coming week. I have at least 8 assignments and tests in the first 4 days of the week. It's going to be hectic.

Alright, in the comments below tell me what you thought of this story! I honestly love hearing from you guys. And why don't you tell me what your prefect date was/what you want it to be. Mine would be going to a theme park...or cosplaying as Dean and Cas (Destiel for life).

See you!

~ Ella