Natsu x Lucy: The Return

A/N: So this is the second part to One Year.  I hope you all enjoy it! This is gonna start where Natsu came back and is staying with Lucy at her apartment. After that it stops following the plotline of the manga/anime. Also, I know I just published a NaLu, but this is a second part, and I won't post more about the Mystogan x Reader until I have enough space inbetween them.

So many different locations were on the board, with pictures of each and every guild member. Lucy seemed to have figured out where almost everyone was - or at least have had some sort of idea of where they were or had been - except for himself. There was a circle around his picture, but the line was wobbly, as if Lucy had been crying while drawing it. Several question marks were by his name, and with his keen eyes he noticed in small writing there were the words "where are you?" written down.

The breath in Natsu's lungs seemed to disappear, and the plan to draw mustaches on the sleeping blonde vanished from his mind as he turned to look at her, a guilty expression on his face. "She looked for us, Happy." He murmured softly. He remembered what you had told him about Lucy trying to find everyone, and about Wendy being in Lamia Scale.

"Aye." Happy replied sadly, looking up at Natsu. "Even though we left her a note she still looked for us."

The salmon haired boy just sat there for a moment, watching Lucy's sleeping figure. She looked so peaceful, a tiny smile gracing her lips. Natsu wondered how many nights she had cried herself to sleep and woke up grumbling about Natsu not being in her bed. He wondered how many times she had looked at her guildmark and remembered the guild was no more. How many times has she needed me and then remembered I wasn't there?  He thought, his heart clenching at the thought. Suddenly, he wasn't able to look at her any more, and he quietly told Happy to go with him back to the living room.

"Happy, do you think we made a mistake? Just leaving her like that?" Natsu asked, his voice low and slightly distant as he sat on Lucy's couch. Her scent was all over the apartment, but he wouldn't let himself enjoy the familiar, comforting smell.

"I don't know, Natsu... (Y/n) did say she lost Aquarius. And then we left and the guild disbanded... Sounds like she was completely alone to me." Happy admitted, looking down feeling just as bad as Natsu did.

"Why didn't we just take her with us?" Natsu wondered aloud, hands reaching up to tug on his pink locks. "What was I thinking? I mean, how many times would she have died if it weren't for me? Even if the guild was still together, she could be dead right now.." Natsu was suddenly on the verge of tears at the thought of losing this Lucy too. He had seen her future self die - and he didn't even want to begin to think about why future Lucy looked to relieved to see him. As if... as if he had died.

"Hey... don't be so hard on yourself. We went to train so that we could be stronger, right? Well look at us today. You melted the entire Grand Magic Games stadium! You beat entire guilds and didn't even release your full strength or break a sweat. And while the inanimate objects melted, you didn't kill anyone. So that means you got a lot of control." Happy tried to reassure his best friend.

"But none of that would be worth it if we came back and Lucy was dead..." Natsu whispered, clearly torn.

"I don't blame you for leaving." He had been so absorbed in his regret that he hadn't sensed her waking up and walking out and behind him. His eyes widened and he turned to look at her. Her brown eyes were droopy with sleep, but she was speaking clearly.

"L-Lucy?" Natsu sputtered out.

"I blame you for not telling me in person... for leaving with just a note. You could have died in that year you were gone, and-and the last time I saw you was during the battle with Tartaros!" Lucy's voice was no longer clear, and the hurt, pain, and betrayal she felt were clear emotions on her face, tears shimmering in her eyes.