Natsu x Lucy : The Relationship

A/N: So this idea came to me in a dream. It's kinda rough, kinda doesn't make too much sense (as most dreams don't) but the idea was cute. Here goes. Contains spoilers so read at your own risk. (After the tartaros arc). Before we get started, there will be NaLi scenes and stuff. Please don't hate on her. For all you NaLu shippers, she is not a threat to NaLu and she is not an evil bitch. To all you NaLi shippers, I think it's kinda cute in it's own way and I can kind of see where you go from the whole childhood love approach (like Jerza).

There weren't many things that Lucy didn't get happy for when it came to her guildmates. She was happy for them usually no matter what the cause. When Gajeel and Levy finally stopped beating around the bush and started dating, she was thrilled. She knew how much Levy liked Gajeel, and it was clear that Gajeel didn't even look at another girl the way he did Levy - Lucy only wished she found something like that.

But she had been happy for them.

When Cana told everyone that she was going to leave for a few months in order to go looking for her father, Gildarts, Lucy was sad that she would be gone, but she knew that her friend wanted to see her father. After all, he went on dangerous missions and he hadn't been back for a while. And while the last mission he took was a century long mission, this current mission had only been a regular, run-of-the-mill mission that he had taken to get back into the swing of things after he had that accident with Acnologia and his body.

She missed her, but she was still happy for her.

Heck, after the Tartaros incident when Natsu and Happy left with only a note to go by, Lucy had still been happy for them. Completely crushed and devastated that they had left her behind, but she understood the reasons behind their leaving. She knew how much getting stronger to protect those he cared about meant to Natsu.

But she had been happy for them.

So, why, couldn't she be happy about this? Why could she not bring a smile to her face at the two who were standing on top of the stage, smiling at the guildhall as they made their announcement? Her entire body felt drained of energy, as if she had a long day of fighting and just wanted to go take a bubble bath for two hours - maybe three. She tried to force a smile onto her lips, but she couldn't. And she was at least glad that she wasn't the only one who wasn't immediately cheering and smiling. Almost everyone in the guild looked utterly confused. No one had expected this, and not so suddenly.

"Lucy? Are you alright? You look unwell." Mirajane stated from behind the bar. She glanced over to the stage and then back to her depressed looking guildmate. "Does it have to do with the new couple, I wonder?" She mused, trying to tease the blonde, only to realize that bringing it up only seemed to make Lucy feel even more glum than she had before.

"Yeah. I think I'm just going to go home and sleep." She admitted, giving an utterly pathetic and weak smile before she stood up and headed out of the guildhall, keys bouncing lightly against her hip, her thoughts all over the place.

Why can't I be happy for him? He's my best friend, after all. If anything, I should be the one who is the most happy for him, right? But, I'm not. Why? Why am I not happy for him? Everyone had said that they were childhood friends. Even Gildarts had walked into the room asking how their relationship had progressed when he first came back and I met him. So why didn't I see this coming? How long have they been planning on this big reveal? More importantly, why can't I be happy for them?

She didn't even bother to walk on the ledge of the brick by the river. Instead, her feet felt aching and heavy as she trudged along back to her apartment. A sigh left her lips as she made her way inside and up to her room. She wasn't all that sure why it even mattered. Maybe it was just an off day? She would be thrilled for them tomorrow, right? Right. Tomorrow she would go to the guildhall and congratulate both of them. Starting with Natsu, and then moving to Lisanna.